The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Books, Comics, and Other Literature (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Anyone participating in Free Comic Book Day tomorrow? (5/7/22) (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=64961)

superstaff 05-06-2022 03:13 PM

Anyone participating in Free Comic Book Day tomorrow? (5/7/22)

Just curious, is anyone going to their local shop to get the free comic samplers?

I am. :D

Bahamut810 05-06-2022 04:12 PM

Oh yeah. I have a list of stuff I want to give a try like...

1. Primos - Dont see aztec stuff often, so I am going to give it a go even if they use the term 'Latinix"
2. Barbaric - I already have everything they put out for this, and its an awesome fun series!
3. Bunny Mask - its a weird series and this is two new stories in the universe.
4. Kult Kable - JAck black is awesome.
5. A hundred year curse - I like the Winchester mystery house comic I already picked up so I want to see whats up here.

Probably some others too, depending on what I see. My LCS also has a bunch of dust gathering comics they put on sale for $1 I am going to browse to see if I want to try to get into anything else.

superstaff 05-06-2022 06:18 PM

My LCS tends to have all the FCBD titles every year (and for Halloween Comicfest), however, they have a rule of only 5 comics per customer. I get why he made that a rule since neckbeards would ravage the comics, and take stacks of them...but it sucks for nerds like me.

Anyway, these are the ones I have my eye on this year:

1) The Rema Chronicles - I'm a huuuuge sucker for fantasy stories, and I remember enjoying that creator's works in the past in the mid-00s.

2) Enemies - I'm also a huuuuge sucker for graphic novels for kids, and I also enjoy that creator's other works.

3) Best of 2000 AD - Super curious about what's in this. I happen to love 2000AD/Dredd.

4) Bloodborne - I love the game, so I wanna pick up the comic.

5) Kaiju No 8/Sakamoto Days - Been curious about both of these manga, and I tend to really like manga samplers. I used to subscribe to the Tokyopop and Viz ones back in the day. Le sigh. Memories.

6) Pokemon Journeys/Pokemon Adventures XY - Similar to the above except the Pokemon edition.

7) Kult Kable - Seems like the sort of eccentric comic I'd love based on the cover art alone.

I might also pick up TMNT and Sonic...if I feel like it. Mostly for the lulz since I'm not super fond of either series at the moment.

I said my store has a 5 comic limit, it's just that my...sidekick picks up an extra 5 books for me every year. :D

mrmaczaps 05-06-2022 06:29 PM

I'm goin to my lcs for the tmnt, the dc & marvel books for sh!ts & giggles and whatever else I feel like... sometimes the shop does limits but its usually one of each rather than "only x comics"... they're also having Steve Stern over to sign copies of his new Zenisms comic with 2 covers. One is a store variant drawn by Paul Pelletier. Both those guys will also be at Shellabration so I might snag a few extras for the show.

Every year now for the last 8 or so I've also teied to get the shop to let me buy some fcbd books for myself in bulk but they always say no for some reason.

superstaff 05-06-2022 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmaczaps (Post 1929309)
Every year now for the last 8 or so I've also teied to get the shop to let me buy some fcbd books for myself in bulk but they always say no for some reason.

I think they don't allow that due to some sort of contractual thing, like that they're supposed to only give the comics out for free or some such. I tried to buy some Halloween Comicfest titles in bulk in 2019 to give out to the trick-or-treaters (not the mini ones they sell for that purpose, the bigger ones that are supposed to be given out at the shop), and they also didn't let me then. He told me that the distributor wouldn't allow that, and didn't give me more details than that.

mrmaczaps 05-06-2022 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superstaff (Post 1929310)
I think they don't allow that due to some sort of contractual thing, like that they're supposed to only give the comics out for free or some such. I tried to buy some Halloween Comicfest titles in bulk in 2019 to give out to the trick-or-treaters (not the mini ones they sell for that purpose, the bigger ones that are supposed to be given out at the shop), and they also didn't let me then. He told me that the distributor wouldn't allow that, and didn't give me more details than that.

I've seen some shops do it... and Jetpack Comics for example gets a huge chunk of their downtown area businesses involved with fcbd where everyone gets to advertise during the scavenger hunt style collection of the free books... I think its just the owner of the shop says he only wants so much ordered so thats all they do order. One of these days I'll find a shop that will take my money I guess. Lol

superstaff 05-06-2022 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmaczaps (Post 1929313)
I've seen some shops do it... and Jetpack Comics for example gets a huge chunk of their downtown area businesses involved with fcbd where everyone gets to advertise during the scavenger hunt style collection of the free books... I think its just the owner of the shop says he only wants so much ordered so thats all they do order. One of these days I'll find a shop that will take my money I guess. Lol

They apparently order however many they want, and pay for them as well. I think they're supposed to be 12 cents a copy, though it adds up if they buy most/all the titles, and in a huge quantity.

Coola Yagami 05-06-2022 06:44 PM

hellz yeah

Now this is the kind of topic I like to see. :D

Hellz, yeah, this is gonna be a blast!

What we've been doing for the last few years is double-dipping, whatever 4-5 comics we can't grab at one store, we'll grab at another.

I got a bit of a geek crew gathered tomorrow, and one of my friends who moved out of town during the pandemic just recently moved back in town, so this'll be our first time hanging out since the days where we were back in the office.

After hitting the shops, we're going out to eat and whatnot.

Other than the free comics, I'll be on the lookout for The Last Ronin final issue and probably check some of those discount long boxes.

superstaff 05-06-2022 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1929318)
Now this is the kind of topic I like to see. :D

Hellz, yeah, this is gonna be a blast!

What we've been doing for the last few years is double-dipping, whatever 4-5 comics we can't grab at one store, we'll grab at another.

I got a bit of a geek crew gathered tomorrow, and one of my friends who moved out of town during the pandemic just recently moved back in town, so this'll be our first time hanging out since the days where we were back in the office.

After hitting the shops, we're going out to eat and whatnot.

Other than the free comics, I'll be on the lookout for The Last Ronin final issue and probably check some of those discount long boxes.

I'm a bit bummed because for the last two or so years, I'd take my spouse and my friend. Sadly, friend isn't coming...because reasons. Though I do plan to make a bit of a trip out of it, maybe go eat and shop like you will. :) I might do some toy hunting at some Targets that are nearby.

Coola Yagami 05-06-2022 06:58 PM

I've been going faithfully every year, on the off chance I miss Free Comic Book Day I do try to at least make it to Halloween ComicFest.

superstaff 05-06-2022 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1929322)
I've been going faithfully every year, on the off chance I miss Free Comic Book Day I do try to at least make it to Halloween ComicFest.

Since I began going regularly in 2010, I missed only 1 in 2017. I try to make it every that I can.

ZariusTwo 05-07-2022 06:07 AM

The Marvel FCBD issues for this year all had their outcomes spoiled a fortnight ago:P

I haven't really picked one up since 2018 when Spencer's run on ASM started.

superstaff 05-07-2022 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZariusTwo (Post 1929375)
The Marvel FCBD issues for this year all had their outcomes spoiled a fortnight ago:P

I haven't really picked one up since 2018 when Spencer's run on ASM started.

Usually I'm not super interested in the DC or Marvel gold titles. I tend to skip those, especially given my shop has a limit of what you can grab.

Coola Yagami 05-07-2022 06:42 AM

Marvel and DC aren't what they used to be.

Only DC stuff I like nowadays is classic Batman early 90s stuff. Only Marvel stuff I like is also from that era.

When it comes to modern day I'm just more interested in independent stuff.

superstaff 05-07-2022 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1929380)
Marvel and DC aren't what they used to be.

Only DC stuff I like nowadays is classic Batman early 90s stuff. Only Marvel stuff I like is also from that era.

When it comes to modern day I'm just more interested in independent stuff.

Yep, there's that as well. Aside from very select titles (that are now cancelled too), I've mostly been...'disappointed' in DC and Marvel's output from the last 11 or so years.

AquaParade 05-07-2022 07:04 AM

Doesn’t that Campbell & Waltz book come out today? Did we ever find I r what exactly that was? It had an “after Eastman & Laird” tag.

superstaff 05-07-2022 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaParade (Post 1929384)
Doesn’t that Campbell & Waltz book come out today? Did we ever find I r what exactly that was? It had an “after Eastman & Laird” tag.

Yes, it does.

It's super low on my priority list, honestly. Pretty sure I've made my opinion on the IDW comics clear on the main threads in the comic section.

Though I will reiterate that I dislike everything that's come once Jennika became a mutant turtle. That was the point where it began to suck, and it just keeps getting worse, to me. I might pick it up if I can, and if I have the 'space', mostly out of morbid curiosity.

Anyway, this is the synopsis of the TMNT FCBD sampler:

The Ninja Turtles have broken out of the locked-down neighborhood of Manhattan known as Mutant Town . . . but which Ninja Turtles? And is that... VENUS(!)... spying on them?! As all new mutants haunt and terrorize NYC, enemies and allies of the TMNT alike prepare for a confrontation greater than any that has come before . . . the Rat King's diabolical Armageddon Game!

The TMNT event of 2022 starts here from Tom Waltz, Sophie Campbell, Ronda Pattison and Kevin Eastman!

Exclusive Original Material
Rating: Teen (or Teen+)

neatoman 05-07-2022 08:11 AM

I've read it, it's literally just a remake of the Purple Dragon fight from Mirage #1, with the Purple Dragons replaced by the EPF and the Turtles' weapons/names swapped. It also contains that portion from the actual #1, not the full issue mind you, just the brawl with the Purple Dragons.

Coola Yagami 05-08-2022 10:59 PM

Yeah it's pretty odd. Can't tell if they actually cloned new turtles but since they don't know them that well, they got the names and weapons wrong, or if it was all in Venus' head, where she got the names and weapons wrong.

Mad Dog McMutt 05-08-2022 11:16 PM

I just got the new issue of Quailman where he rescues his partner Quaildog from the evil Doctor Klotzenstein while Silver Skeeter fights Wacky Weatherman. It was probably the best comic I have ever read. Patience, intelligence, and speed.