The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   New Super Mario Bros. possibly being made by sony (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=50385)

Shred Head 12-12-2014 01:07 AM

New Super Mario Bros. possibly being made by sony

Apparently someone hacked Sony and found allot of news on certain movies and one being that Sony has the rights to make a Mario movie. You would think no one in there right mind would ever do that again but thankfully it will be animated.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/so...rio-bros-movie

Tell the truth I hope its true a live action Mario movie was always going to be doomed for disaster but animated I think its got some potential. Although if they screw up Nintendo will probraly never trust hollywood with one of there properties again. Also doesn't Sony have the rights for a Sonic movie also? Man I would kill for a team up thats not a ****ing mini game compilation.

TigerClaw 12-12-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shred Head (Post 1391787)
Apparently someone hacked Sony and found allot of news on certain movies and one being that Sony has the rights to make a Mario movie. You would think no one in there right mind would ever do that again but thankfully it will be animated.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/so...rio-bros-movie

Tell the truth I hope its true a live action Mario movie was always going to be doomed for disaster but animated I think its got some potential. Although if they screw up Nintendo will probraly never trust hollywood with one of there properties again. Also doesn't Sony have the rights for a Sonic movie also? Man I would kill for a team up thats not a ****ing mini game compilation.

It could work as an animated film, As long as they stick to the same art style of the games, And have Charles Martinet as the voice of Mario, Since hes done the voice for all the games.

Candy Kappa 12-12-2014 10:36 AM

I've seen great live-action takes on Mario, so it's not impossible. If fan movies and commercials can make Mario look awesome in real life, surely a Hollywood production could.

Could... Maybe.

Cure 12-12-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerClaw (Post 1391847)
It could work as an animated film, As long as they stick to the same art style of the games, And have Charles Martinet as the voice of Mario, Since hes done the voice for all the games.

That's a terrible idea. His voice gets annoying after screeching one game title so it'll be awful if he had to do an entire movie.

But anyway, they suggested Genndy do it and if he does, it'll be amazing.

Leo656 12-12-2014 12:45 PM

Yeah f*ck Charles Martinet. Sh*t's terrible.

Everybody knows that Mario actually sounds like Capt. Lou after half a carton of Lucky Strikes. F***ing Duh.

CyberCubed 12-12-2014 02:05 PM

I don't understand why they would team up with Sony of all people. Talk about working with your competitor.

Peanut 12-12-2014 02:17 PM

Sony Pictures is not SCE is not Sony Music is not Sony etc. They're all hardly the same company at some point. It's part of the reason they're in so much financial turmoil all the time. There are specific accounts of Sony Music telling other branches of the company to f*ck off when it came to using licensed music! Why do you think Sony Pictures allows franchises they own the rights to, like Spider-Man, or own outright, like Ghostbusters, to be made into third-party video games? It's cause they don't give two f*cks about SCE.

Nintendo making a deal with Sony for movies isn't Nintendo making a deal with Playstation.

TurtleTitan97 12-12-2014 03:12 PM

I've got a bad feeling about this.....

NinjaPug 12-12-2014 08:39 PM

Wish Nintendo would do a Zelda movie instead

snake 12-12-2014 08:43 PM

I don't know if I can stand Mario talking for an entire movie.

Wildcat 12-12-2014 09:51 PM

Ya a live action Mario CAN work. The old one doesn't set the standard for what anyone would do. That's just dumb. It'd be like saying all possible live action Batman movies should have been judged on the old tv series.

If they actually model it on the games it could be awesome. Imagine a Live Action mushroom kingdom and other worlds. It'd could be beautiful.

Darthknuxward 12-12-2014 11:21 PM

This should be... interesting...

BubblyShell22 12-13-2014 08:11 AM

I never liked the live action Mario movie, but I think an animated one could work. Too bad Capt. Lou's not alive because I think he'd be awesome to play Mario. I don't like the video game Mario anymore. In the old days, he never talked in the game, but after they gave him a voice, it's definitely gotten annoying. I wouldn't want that guy to voice Mario.

Peanut 12-13-2014 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 (Post 1392122)
I don't like the video game Mario anymore. In the old days, he never talked in the game, but after they gave him a voice, it's definitely gotten annoying. I wouldn't want that guy to voice Mario.

Lol...what? He almost never speaks in the games. Like...ever.

Whatswiththeheadbands? 12-13-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaPug (Post 1392012)

This. Oh yes. A thousand times this

TigerClaw 12-13-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaPug (Post 1392012)

I wish they did a Starfox movie too.

CyberCubed 12-13-2014 04:16 PM

I'm surprised they never made a Starfox cartoon. It seems like the perfect Nintendo franchise to turn into a Saturday Morning cartoon show.

Considering Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, F-zero, Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing all had either cartoon or anime adaptions, I'm surprised Starfox never did.

Davetello 12-13-2014 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whatswiththeheadbands? (Post 1392230)
This. Oh yes. A thousand times this

There's a fantastic Zelda fan film, "The Hero of Time".

TigerClaw 12-13-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1392264)
I'm surprised they never made a Starfox cartoon. It seems like the perfect Nintendo franchise to turn into a Saturday Morning cartoon show.

Considering Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, F-zero, Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing all had either cartoon or anime adaptions, I'm surprised Starfox never did.

Someone was working on a fanmade Starfox animated series, But Nintendo shut it down.

Leofan26 12-13-2014 05:26 PM

They'd have to get some newbie actors for this if Live action, I don't think any one would be willing to touch this thing after what happened with the last one.

I think Animation would do it more Justice, just get a better voice actor for Mario is all.

If they do live action at least have the princess be Princess Peach this time, I was really disapointed with who they choose not to mention the film was on Luigi. Second film if filmed they could have focused on him but the first flick.

Leo656 12-13-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 (Post 1392122)
Too bad Capt. Lou's not alive because I think he'd be awesome to play Mario.

To be fair, The Cap'n didn't invent the "Brooklyn Pizza Delivery Guy" accent, he merely perfected it.

Pretty much anybody could do it. I'll do it. I'll do it for a BLT, f*ck it. I could eat.

TMNT_Guy 12-14-2014 12:23 AM

I doubt the movie will happen, but I hope I’m wrong. A Super Mario Bros has so much potential to be a good character driven movie. The characters in Super Mario have interesting, fun personalities and it would be really neat to see them be able to fully express themselves in a movie. If done right, of course.

In regards to “Charles Martinet’s voice is too annoying for a 90 min movie.” If people are ok with listening to Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck’s voice for extended periods of time, then they should be ok with Mario and Luigi's. Especially since Mario would be talking like a normal person and not constantly shouting every line of dialogue like the games.

The Stryker 12-14-2014 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy (Post 1392434)
In regards to “Charles Martinet’s voice is too annoying for a 90 min movie.” If people are ok with listening to Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck’s voice for extended periods of time, then they should be ok with Mario and Luigi's. Especially since Mario would be talking like a normal person and not constantly shouting every line of dialogue like the games.

How many 90 minute Mickey or Donald movies exist?

Also, I've heard Martinet doing a regular speaking voice for Mario. It's still ridiculous and wouldn't work in anything other than a video game.

BubblyShell22 12-14-2014 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peanut (Post 1392138)
Lol...what? He almost never speaks in the games. Like...ever.

Oh. I thought he did, but then again, I haven't played any of the new Mario games. I only remember the old ones. I was just going by how everyone said Mario had an annoying voice and just figured he spoke more.

Edit: Leo, I know Capt. Lou didn't invent the Mario voice, but he was perfect for it.

Shred Head 12-14-2014 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stryker (Post 1392482)
How many 90 minute Mickey or Donald movies exist?

Also, I've heard Martinet doing a regular speaking voice for Mario. It's still ridiculous and wouldn't work in anything other than a video game.

Not to mention no Director or producer or what have you would in there right mind cast him just take a look at his take a look at the guys IMDB page. Pretty sure they wouldn't think yeah this is the guy we want to star in feature length movie. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0553409/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

I think the last body of work the guy has had that wasn't video game related was in 2003 and it was just standing in the back ground. I respect the work he has done in the games but what works in one medium doesn't mean it will completely work in anther.

Leo656 12-14-2014 02:05 PM

I never even understood why they switched Mario's voice. Like, everyone watched those cartoons as a kid. I mean, Bob "British As F*ck" Hoskins played him in the movie, and it was perfect. He was one of the only things in that movie that was spot-on, and he was drunk off his ass giving exactly zero f*cks about anything the entire time.

Then, all of a sudden, in 1996, with no explanation, Mario suddenly started talking like he was "straight off the boat" instead of someone who was supposedly born and raised in Brooklyn, because, I guess... Japanese people are racist against Italians, maybe? I mean, why would you even think to do that, to give a character that voice? That'd be like, after decades of having a suitable and "normal" voice, suddenly Superman talked like a hick because "Hey, he's from Kansas". Just don't fit.

As a kid I swore they'd realize it was a stupid voice and that they'd change it for the very next game. Still waiting.

BubblyShell22 12-14-2014 03:47 PM

I agree with you about the voice, Leo. Even in the cartoon, he didn't sound that way, and suddenly for the games he sounds like he's from Italy instead of New York. It just sounded tacky to me whenever I heard it on the commercials.

Leo656 12-14-2014 04:03 PM

That's not even how people from Italy talk, as far as I'm aware. That's how people who write cartoons think people from Italy talk, but I kind of don't think they really do.

CyberCubed 12-14-2014 04:04 PM

The Mario cartoon was made by Dic, it was pretty much just a licensed product. Its not like Nintendo had any control over the Mario cartoon like they do with Pokemon now for example.

It was pretty obvious Mario got a new voice in 1996 to distance it from the cartoon series which was long canceled by that point anyway.

Leo656 12-14-2014 04:12 PM

Are you defending their position? Smack yourself.

CyberCubed 12-14-2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1392617)

You thought they were going to continue using an actor from a spinoff cartoon? There's a reason Nintendo never acknowledges the Mario cartoon officially, the DVDs were released by Dic (or whomever) and has nothing to do with Nintendo.

Nintendo likes to pretend the early 90's cartoons of Mario, Zelda, and Captain N don't exist. They didn't start to control their shows till Pokemon, Kirby, F-zero, etc. in the late 90's and 2000's.

sdp 12-14-2014 09:50 PM

Actually Nintendo needed to OK the cover art and the releases for the DVDs of the old shows. In the 80s early 90s NOA had a lot more control over the properties and they tried to license their characters in as much as they could. It was actually the Super Mario Bros movie that made Nintendo in Japan notice and basically stripped NOA from much of its power to license stuff out and kept tighter control. I think this has been both good and bad. I was happy to read that they were going to be licensing their properties more which is good, that's probably why we've gotten so many action figures lately but I hope they don't just let anything happen.

As far as a Mario movie, I don't know how I feel about it. The Pikmin shorts worked well but a full Mario movie? I think they would recast Mario but I don't mind Charles Martinet(?), I actually met him, nice guy but hten again he doesn't speak a lot in the games just smaller phrases. As far as the mario cartoons I thought the SMB3 cartoon was neat, the Supershow is really boring to me and I never saw SMW. The Zelda cartoon is pretty decent for its premise and incorporates many fantasy tropes that were later used in future Zelda's, the "excuse me" phrase isn't even as annoying as the internet would make you think. Star Fox would be great for an animated show, I remember when I was watching Bucky O'Hare I actually thought this is how an animated SF show would be.

Peanut 12-14-2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1392617)

Where do you get that from what he said? He's explaining to you why it is what it is. The cartoons released in the west were licensed. Officially, game or otherwise, Mario did not have a voice until Super Mario 64 and to this day his origins aren't touched on. Nintendo didn't suddenly decide to change the voice or alter the characters back story, it never officially existed. Smack yourself.

TMNT_Guy 12-14-2014 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1392574)
Then, all of a sudden, in 1996, with no explanation, Mario suddenly started talking like he was "straight off the boat" instead of someone who was supposedly born and raised in Brooklyn, because, I guess... Japanese people are racist against Italians, maybe?

I don’t think the Japanese ever heard of the Brooklyn origin until the live action Super Mario Bros movie screened in 1993. The official voice of Mario was already chosen as far back as 1992, a whole year before the Brooklyn origin even reached Mr. Miyamoto.

Peanut 12-14-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy (Post 1392724)
I don’t think the Japanese ever heard of the Brooklyn origin until the live action Super Mario Bros movie screened in 1993. The official voice of Mario was already chosen as far back as 1992, a whole year before the Brooklyn origin even reached Mr. Miyamoto.

Sort of. That isn't Charles Martinet. Though, he is in that video.

Edit: This is way longer than the one I saw a long time ago. Man, that's something else for 1992.

Jester 12-14-2014 10:34 PM

Was Charles Martinet's first turn as Mario the Mario Game Gallery for the PC?

Davetello 12-14-2014 10:40 PM

While we're on the subject of Mario, and just as a temporary derailment of the topic...rank the main 3D Marios: 64, Sunshine, and both Galaxies.

Peanut 12-14-2014 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 1392738)
Was Charles Martinet's first turn as Mario the Mario Game Gallery for the PC?

I do believe that is the case. At least, it was probably the first released title that featured him voicing Mario. I'm not sure how the timelines of him actually performing the VO for 64 and Game Gallery line up in regards to their actual release dates.

Cure 12-14-2014 10:45 PM

I need to study up on my Mario knowledge, because damn.

TMNT_Guy 12-14-2014 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peanut (Post 1392725)
Sort of. That isn't Charles Martinet. Though, he is in that video.

Yeah, you can clearly see him instructing the guy on what to do. I guess he needed a break or something. It wouldn’t be the last time someone else voiced one of his characters for a live event.