The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Realistic Anamatronic TMNT @ Monsterpalooza (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=52932)

Commenter 42 08-02-2015 11:23 AM

Realistic Anamatronic TMNT @ Monsterpalooza

Just stumbled across this today (hope I'm not late to the party on this :) ).

Many folks have speculated that PDMT would have been better with practical suits, and the same designs refined to be less cluttered and skinnier.

Something like the look of J S Marantz's rejected designs:

I think this is what you'd get. Splinter is a huge improvement, while the rest...er....well?

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hp...72574088_n.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/78pMY6D.jpg?1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBfTfCjVAAAqOSJ.jpg:large

The Stryker 08-02-2015 03:06 PM

Terrifying.

They kinda have a Mac and Me thing happening in the eyes.

PangolinFeets 08-02-2015 03:14 PM

These are probably the closet thing we'll get to real ninja turtles. My only complaint would be the lack of any real muscle definition.

Still...a thousand times better than Bay turtles.

Commenter 42 08-02-2015 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stryker (Post 1489764)
Terrifying.

They kinda have a Mac and Me thing happening in the eyes.

It's the dead eye stare...freaky :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PangolinFeets (Post 1489767)
These are probably the closet thing we'll get to real ninja turtles. My only complaint would be the lack of any real muscle definition.

Still...a thousand times better than Bay turtles.

I don't know if these are better...they are, different...

The Boston Ninja Turtle 08-02-2015 05:48 PM

personally i find them more appealing than the bat turtles face wise, they actually look turtle ish and not human

the arm scales are a bit to much but everything else is fine

snake 08-02-2015 05:58 PM

That looks horrible

Commenter 42 08-02-2015 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Boston Ninja Turtle (Post 1489812)

the arm scales are a bit to much but everything else is fine

It's funny, so much effort went into the detail on the head and shell, but then the arms, hands and feet, the scales, a total rush job.

Not to harp on it, but this is exactly why I'm for Sliders over Box turtles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snake (Post 1489813)
That looks horrible

Yep, but I've seen worse. We live in an age of the hyper grotesque. I've yet to see live action, realistic designs that don't trip people the **** out.

Sabacooza 08-02-2015 06:36 PM

I can appreciate the work that went into these but I'm not digging the faces, lack of muscle tone, and scales. What I do like is that they actually look young and teenagerish.

Bry 08-02-2015 06:38 PM

I saw these a while back and they're a really cool project. Not my definitive versions by any stretch, but much more appealing than the BayTurtles designs, and I like the level of work put into the heads/faces.

Like others said - I'd tone down the scaliness a bit and have some more work put into the muscle definition. But these are definitely on the right track!

The Boston Ninja Turtle 08-02-2015 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commenter 42 (Post 1489820)
It's funny, so much effort went into the detail on the head and shell, but then the arms, hands and feet, the scales, a total rush job.

yea the head scales look semi natural. but arms and legs look more like bumps than scales

marcelangelo 08-02-2015 07:18 PM

big up for this project!...lot of hard work and thought apparently into those suits...
I personally would use much less of scaley skin on them and avoid using these pointy fingernails or claws almost...I know both these things may come with some turtles, but I myself don't like them too much in ninja turtles design..
another thing that bothers me with this design would be the much too short plastrons!...they look like they are wearing shirts and no undies in those;)...
this seems to be an area where people working on ninja turtles desings nowerdays all seem to have a problem with.I cannot understand it.what is so hard in giving it a turtle-like appearance juts like in every mirage comic book out there??...turtles have arms and legs GROWING OUT from WITHIN a SHELL, so why not follow that concept when working on ninja turtles? I still think the bay turtles-ogres wear these stupid clothes around their waists because the designers def didn't know how to end their plastrons and shells with their 'sticking to human anatomy because of much richer likeness to the actors yada yada'-concept..so poor I think...;(

anyway, didn't want to come off as critisizing this project so much, I actually find this take on them refreshing and much better than the bay turtles, even if I would have gone for a different route myself..

Turtle Soup 08-02-2015 07:30 PM

I like em!

TrickOrTreater 08-02-2015 07:48 PM

Slightly better than BayTurtles, in that it sticks to the basic idea of how Ninja Turtles should look(body type and accessories), but far too realistic and still just unpleasant to look at.

Splinter is a billion times better though.

Powder 08-02-2015 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bry (Post 1489830)
I'd tone down the scaliness a bit and have some more work put into the muscle definition. But these are definitely on the right track!

Nailed it. For this particular style, those are my only complaints with 'em. They're perfect otherwise, & I'd be more than happy to get a film with this design.

PangolinFeets 08-02-2015 08:59 PM

Are they scary? I think they're actually pretty cute. If they weren't so dang scrawny they'd be perfect, imo.

Klunk1234 08-02-2015 09:07 PM

They make me nervous.:o Red eared sliders or semi aquatic turtle, the TMNT species, are not that scaly. That scaly skin is from tortoises, which they aren't. Master Splinter is OK.

Bry 08-02-2015 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1489873)
Nailed it. For this particular style, those are my only complaints with 'em. They're perfect otherwise, & I'd be more than happy to get a film with this design.

With some tweaks, something like this would work so well with the Suit+CGI concept Peter Laird was talking up years ago. You'd get the advantage of smooth animation where you need it and avoid the uncanny-valley-ness of pure CGI creations against live-action everything else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PangolinFeets (Post 1489879)
Are they scary? I think they're actually pretty cute. If they weren't so dang scrawny they'd be perfect, imo.

I like the skinniness, personally! They're teenagers, so you don't want them to be too big. And the jacked-up look isn't a good fit for ninjas, IMO. Take something like this and give them a Bruce Lee-esque physique and you're golden.

IndigoErth 08-02-2015 10:25 PM

Agree on Splinter; would like to see some better shots of it, but from that little bit...way better than freaky rat-with-mange 2014 Splinter. Also looks a lot more kindly.

The Turtles... well... not my preferred flavor, definitely caters more toward those that long for a more animalistic-looking TMNT, but still pretty very well done. Agree scales could have been toned down, like the individual scale bumps are just to big/bold; reminds me of something, but can't place it at the moment.

Amaranthus 08-03-2015 10:17 AM

They could totally make a cool looking ninja turtle outfit if they wanted too.
They used a costume for Abe Sapien in the Hellboy movies, right? It's proof that it could work for the turtles.

shuriken 08-03-2015 12:22 PM

I like em, they look trippy. Kinda scrawny and a bit too scaly, but the faces, plastron and overall look is pretty great IMO. Prefer this look over BayTurtles easily. Also Splinter looks boss as well, and also not as scary as the Turtles.