The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Custom Toys/Collectibles (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Geek Creek TMNT Kitbashes and Photos (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=48886)

Huzzah 08-31-2014 05:17 PM

Love the blimp docking bay. Excellent prop useage.

Monte Williams 09-04-2014 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkFell (Post 1343047)
Mikey holding up the Millennium Falcon is probably my fave pic, but they all look great.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huzzah (Post 1343585)
Love the blimp docking bay. Excellent prop useage.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

I gathered all the skate ramps and such for a single photo to get a better sense of what I have:

And here's a new shot of Monkeyman, aka Sgt. Bananas:

More later, I gotta get to work.

Huzzah 09-04-2014 05:53 PM

If nothing else, the Turtles could have a sweet skate park.

Monte Williams 09-04-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huzzah (Post 1345244)
If nothing else, the Turtles could have a sweet skate park.

Indeed! I have ambitious plans for my custom sewer, but my ambitions outpace my talent by such a staggering distance that I'm afraid to start!

Meanwhile, I wanna finish the post I started this morning...

Raphael gets a tough new ride:

More in the next post...

Monte Williams 09-04-2014 10:33 PM

I recently put together a trade with a friend on Facebook, and he was kind enough to toss in a Foot Soldier figure from the new movie.

Alas, he didn't receive a very warm welcome in my toy collection...

A new shot of The Heap, aka Muckman:

More in the next post...

Monte Williams 09-04-2014 10:35 PM

Can you guess who the Turtles are preparing to fight in this next photo?

Here's the answer:

I have three more Donatello portraits I've yet to upload to my Flickr photostream, and of course a buttload of ideas for Bebop and Rocksteady portraits, plus I have not one but two Nickelodeon Secret Sewer Lair playsets on the way thanks to a trade with another buddy on Facebook, and a set of Lego Turtles on the way courtesy of the gray market lifesavers on eBay...

Maybe eventually I'll stop spamming this poor forum, but it won't be anytime soon!

Monte Williams 09-06-2014 09:46 PM

When I was cleaning up after this shot:

...I noticed that the taller accessory had stuck to the large chunk of metal on which everything was resting, at which point I remembered that said taller accessory is a piece from the lightsaber that came with an 18-inch Darth Maul figure I bought five or six years ago; its pieces are detachable via hidden magnets.

I had to take advantage somehow, so:

And this is another goodie I received in my recent trade with my friend Dom:

It's from some McFarlane Toys Youngblood figure from the mid-'90s.

raven6859 09-07-2014 01:42 AM

I love the shots with the severed hand! And the Macfarlane figures look great, if I end up buying Heap it's your fault!

Monte Williams 09-10-2014 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raven6859 (Post 1346184)
I love the shots with the severed hand! And the Macfarlane figures look great, if I end up buying Heap it's your fault!

Thanks, man! Do get Heap; he's awesome, and quite affordable. Nerditis did a review a while back:

http://nerditis.com/2013/10/02/life-...cfarlane-toys/

Meanwhile, tonight I put together one of the two sewer playsets I acquired in a trade with a friend of mine.

(Photo deleted from Flickr).

I was thinking of just using the second sewer for parts, but now instead I'm thinking I might put 'em both together, take down the red brick bits and use them as extra walls down below to fill in the gaps (the openness is the one thing I don't like; that's partly why I like the 2003 set so much), and build a simple, flat wall out of thin wood to place behind it on all three sides to close it all in, then fill it to bursting with props and such...

For the record, my friend didn't get to take advantage of the $15 sewer sale, although he did manage to find a Buy One, Get One Half-Off deal. Still, it was the biggest trade I've ever put together, I think; he paid $50 just to ship everything to me!

connor_obain 09-11-2014 02:30 AM

Your photos are great and i am incredibly jealous of your local thrift shops

Monte Williams 09-11-2014 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by connor_obain (Post 1347889)
Your photos are great and i am incredibly jealous of your local thrift shops

Thanks! Oddly enough, this thrift shop had always been a bust for me until recently. I should go back and see if there's anything new!

Monte Williams 09-13-2014 09:26 AM

This post once contained six photos and a bunch of commentary pertaining to them, but The Great Flickr Apocalypse strikes again!

Huzzah 09-13-2014 01:28 PM

You'll never get the paint skills until you dive in head first. I'd start just doing some basic paint on some of your props, because, that'll not hurt the overall appearance, figurerealm has some great beginners tutorials. It's really not as hard as you'd think, especially on big pieces. Figures can be a bit more complicated though.

Monte Williams 09-13-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huzzah (Post 1349049)
You'll never get the paint skills until you dive in head first. I'd start just doing some basic paint on some of your props...

Wise counsel. Of course, I need to set aside money for paint and such first!

Huzzah 09-13-2014 09:23 PM

Definitely, the good paints cost pert near 4 dollars a jar. Though you can probably use the cheaper acryls for larger areas

raven6859 09-17-2014 03:26 PM

So if I do get Heap you and Nerditis get to share the blame!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huzzah (Post 1349049)
You'll never get the paint skills until you dive in head first. I'd start just doing some basic paint on some of your props, because, that'll not hurt the overall appearance, figurerealm has some great beginners tutorials. It's really not as hard as you'd think, especially on big pieces. Figures can be a bit more complicated though.

I agree with this, just dive in! I tend to do so and assume I can fix any problems later. I do a lot of drybrushing, which is pretty simple. Also, I try to go for a grungy, dirty look because I'm not much of an artist so if it looks terrible, hey, it's supposed to look terrible! I tend to think the animated style stuff people do is more difficult because of all the clean, bold colours and the tidy borders.

Huzzah 09-17-2014 08:30 PM

I love the effects a simple dry brush can give. Adds alot of depth to a piece. I also prefer painting buildings, walls and such, not near as much precision needed.

Monte Williams 09-17-2014 10:08 PM

I suspect I'll be painting by Halloween. Someone just linked me to a custom-painted Nick sewer that is absolutely haunting.

Davinci71 09-18-2014 10:41 PM

Monte, I would be interested in seeing that. Do you have a link? Thanks

Huzzah 09-19-2014 04:23 PM

Is that a Warrior of Virtue conversing with Leo?