The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   CastleVania (Netflix) (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=62395)

Andrew NDB 04-16-2021 08:50 PM

So the next season (which comes out in just under a month, I guess) is going to be the LAST season?

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/cas...qgUwHiLvad4iWA

How stupid. They barely covered CV3 (and didn't even include Grant) and blew all of the last season limping toward "Curse of Darkness" which nobody even liked and I doubt they'll even get to at this rate. What happened to touching on other Belmonts and moving forward and all? What a crock.

Sumac 04-17-2021 02:03 AM

Anyone willing to make bets who will be raped in the ass this season?

Andrew NDB 04-17-2021 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumac (Post 1889023)
Anyone willing to make bets who will be raped in the ass this season?

My only hope is not the audiences, again.

Sumac 04-17-2021 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1889025)
My only hope is not the audiences, again.

Good one! :lol:

But I wouldn't count on that.

CyberCubed 04-17-2021 10:44 AM

I don't know why they turned the last episodes into some kind of hentai porno. Seeing animated boobs in a western produced cartoon (remember this isn't an anime, it's made in America), was odd to say the least. I'm sure Konami had to sign off on this stuff too so given Castlevania is still marketed toward kids it basically made the show 18+ only just by that one scene.

Leo656 04-17-2021 11:11 AM

Ahhh sh*t, there's tits in this? Damn, now I gotta watch it. :lol: I totally wasn't even paying attention but now I guess I HAVE to.

The Deadman 04-17-2021 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1889061)
I don't know why they turned the last episodes into some kind of hentai porno. Seeing animated boobs in a western produced cartoon (remember this isn't an anime, it's made in America), was odd to say the least. I'm sure Konami had to sign off on this stuff too so given Castlevania is still marketed toward kids it basically made the show 18+ only just by that one scene.

Just because it wasn't produced in Japan doesn't mean it wasn't anime. Also....when in the hell has Castlevania EVER been marketed towards children? Just because it was on the original NES doesn't necessarily make it a kid's game.

Andrew NDB 04-17-2021 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Deadman (Post 1889090)
Also....when in the hell has Castlevania EVER been marketed towards children?

Since I was a child. I remember having my parents order me the Scholastic "Castlevania 2" book.

oldmanwinters 04-17-2021 03:20 PM

We also had Simon Belmont as a series regular in the Captain N cartoon! :tlol:


CyberCubed 04-17-2021 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Deadman (Post 1889090)
Just because it wasn't produced in Japan doesn't mean it wasn't anime. Also....when in the hell has Castlevania EVER been marketed towards children? Just because it was on the original NES doesn't necessarily make it a kid's game.

All the Castlevania games are aimed at kids. Most of us got into the series as kids. Even in the early 2000's the GBA and DS games were aimed at the kids growing up in that generation after the 80's/90's kids grew up.

Andrew NDB 04-17-2021 04:23 PM

What's odd is how this whole series was commissioned as a kind of "let's get people interested in Castlevania again!" and the first two seasons were white hot... yet... from even before the first season came out until now, there hasn't been a single new Castlevania game in the works. What a waste.

CyberCubed 04-17-2021 05:10 PM

Konami has been dire lately, Metal Gear Solid has also been on hiatus since Kojima left the company. Out of all the Japanese publishers like Capcom, Square, Sega, Namco, etc...Konami always felt the most stuck in the past. It was really only Kojima keeping Metal Gear Solid relevant all those years but without him the series is more or less done.

Ever since the PS3/360 gen it's always been obvious Japanese developers started to fall behind western developers, and that's why most of the popular third party game franchises these days don't come from Japan anymore. We're probably lucky Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Sonic, etc. managed to stay relevant after 30 years.

TigerClaw 04-17-2021 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1889110)
Konami has been dire lately, Metal Gear Solid has also been on hiatus since Kojima left the company. Out of all the Japanese publishers like Capcom, Square, Sega, Namco, etc...Konami always felt the most stuck in the past. It was really only Kojima keeping Metal Gear Solid relevant all those years but without him the series is more or less done.

Ever since the PS3/360 gen it's always been obvious Japanese developers started to fall behind western developers, and that's why most of the popular third party game franchises these days don't come from Japan anymore. We're probably lucky Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Sonic, etc. managed to stay relevant after 30 years.

Its a shame because they have a lot of classic games, And they could've done new versions of them.

Andrew NDB 04-17-2021 05:50 PM

I'd say Capcom is the one most stuck in the past. Like, everything they do is that.

CyberCubed 04-17-2021 09:29 PM

As long as their games remain consistently good, they basically do the same thing Nintendo does and keeps them around. Mega Man, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry and now Monster Hunter are basically huge franchises. They've had almost consistently good games with only a few duds here and there, so it's nice to see some consistency.

Sumac 04-18-2021 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Deadman (Post 1889090)
Just because it wasn't produced in Japan doesn't mean it wasn't anime. Also....when in the hell has Castlevania EVER been marketed towards children? Just because it was on the original NES doesn't necessarily make it a kid's game.

Anime - refers to animation made in Japan, not a genre of animation.
Thus animation made in the West can not be anime by definition, even if its shares some traits with it.

Also, Castlevania games always were for kids, like most other games ever made. Or you want to convince me that Symphony of the Night was aimed for 18+ public?

Lords of Shadow attempted to be mature and edgy, but that's not normally what Castlevania is (or at least this is not what it was for the last decade, before LOS).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1889114)
I'd say Capcom is the one most stuck in the past. Like, everything they do is that.

Its not like they are producing successful sequels or something...:ohwell:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1889110)
Konami has been dire lately, Metal Gear Solid has also been on hiatus since Kojima left the company. Out of all the Japanese publishers like Capcom, Square, Sega, Namco, etc...Konami always felt the most stuck in the past. It was really only Kojima keeping Metal Gear Solid relevant all those years but without him the series is more or less done.

Konami attempted to make MGS game without Kojima and it was a disaster.
But in general, Konami owns more businesses than game developing studios, so for them developing game is not necessary to keep company

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1889110)
Ever since the PS3/360 gen it's always been obvious Japanese developers started to fall behind western developers, and that's why most of the popular third party game franchises these days don't come from Japan anymore. We're probably lucky Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Sonic, etc. managed to stay relevant after 30 years.

Those dark times had arguably passed: Japanese companies have adopted new rules and now back again at being good.
I'd say now it is mostly Western developers that are lagging behind, overly relying on AAA stuff and milking same ideas until the well is well dry.

Andrew NDB 04-18-2021 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumac (Post 1889171)
Its not like they are producing successful sequels or something...:ohwell:

"Sequels." There is a new sequel to Resident Evil every few years, for sure, and that always seems to evolve... but yes, something like Street Fighter? They've been sh**ting out the same game since 1992.

Though even with Resident Evil. Beyond the occasional sequel they're largely just repackaging the existing old games with a fresh coat of paint.

Sumac 04-18-2021 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1889172)
"Sequels." There is a new sequel to Resident Evil every few years, for sure, and that always seems to evolve... but yes, something like Street Fighter? They've been sh**ting out the same game since 1992.

I understand that you are not in a fighting games, dude, but saying stuff like this is just inviting enormous amount of ridicule.

No, Street Fighter V, like any other Street Fighter sequel, is nothing like SF2.

Andrew NDB 04-18-2021 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumac (Post 1889173)
I understand that you are not in a fighting games

I play Tekken 7 at least a few times a week. Just not online, much... I get wasted. Maybe I win 1 out of 5 matches. But it's... me against the world. :) Are you on PS? My Lei Wulong will own your ass.

And my whole young adulthood was defined by me going to arcades fighting people at MK and SF and Tekken and Virtua Fighter. How dare you, sir. ;)

Quote:

dude, but saying stuff like this is just inviting enormous amount of ridicule.

No, Street Fighter V, like any other Street Fighter sequel, is nothing like SF2.
Yes, yes, it's a 3D engine. Camera whips around and whatever. Maybe some new combos and ways to make them. But the skeleton is the same as SF2 (as in, 2D through and through), absolutely. Two fighters fighting in a straight line, can't deviate from that. You shoot the shoryuken and haryuken the same way.

Sumac 04-18-2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1889176)
I play Tekken 7 at least a few times a week. Just not online, much... I get wasted. Maybe I win 1 out of 5 matches. But it's... me against the world. :) Are you on PS? My Lei Wulong will own your ass.

And my whole young adulthood was defined by me going to arcades fighting people at MK and SF and Tekken and Virtua Fighter. How dare you, sir. ;)

The fact that you are playing the game doesn't mean that you understand its finer details. Especially, if you say that 2D fighting games are all the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1889176)
Yes, yes, it's a 3D engine. Camera whips around and whatever. Maybe some new combos and ways to make them. But the skeleton is the same as SF2 (as in, 2D through and through), absolutely. Two fighters fighting in a straight line, can't deviate from that. You shoot the shoryuken and haryuken the same way.

By this logic, all platformers are Castlevanias, all First Person Shooters are Doom, all Third Person Shooters are GTAs and all RPGs are Final Fantasies.

Its so reductive and limited approach, I can't even imagine how one can come to such a conclusion.

Also, Tekkens play much more similar to each other than Street Fighters. Tekken 7, for example, still reuses animations from Tekken 3. Talking about "same skeleton". And even than only inattentive person would say that Tekken 7 plays anything like previous Tekkens.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.