The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Digimon Adventure Returns for a new Season (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=48591)

Allio 08-02-2014 02:12 AM

Digimon Adventure Returns for a new Season

So yesterday was Odaiba Memorial Day

Yesterday they had the live "Digimon The Animation 15th anniversary" event

and then at the end they announced a new season featuring the adventure cast, at least Taichi,

I mean, it can't be as bad as Adventure 02 can it?

Shred Head 08-02-2014 05:05 AM

I was jumping up and down screaming the first time I saw that on youtube. Sure Digimon hasn't been half as good as it was with 01 and tamers but there is hope. I mean as long as they don't bring any writers or producers or anything from Xcros Wars I'm sure it will be OK. You know what I'm going into this optimistically. I mean they already corrected one dumbass mistake from 02 and Taichi is the main protagonist again. So I think things are looking bright.

Allio 08-02-2014 09:08 AM

Xros Wars was okay, I feel that it and Frontier are about average, my favorite is still Digimon Savers.

Though the best digimon is still the movie Digimon X-Evolution

I tend to rank digimon as

Favorite: Savers

X-evolution > V-Tamers > Tamers > Xros Wars manga > Adventure = Next > Xros Wars = Frontier > sh!t > Adventure 02 > Xros Hunters

turtlefanforever 08-02-2014 09:16 AM

nice

Always been a fan of digimon. Glad they're thriving.

Allio 08-02-2014 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtlefanforever (Post 1319622)
Always been a fan of digimon. Glad they're thriving.

It's just dead in the states

Ninjinister 08-02-2014 09:44 AM

I was excited for Data Squad and saw two, maybe three episodes which were alright, but then they switched the date without any announcement that I saw... and now I don't have cable, so #yolo.

Honestly, though, I'm more stoked for All-Star Rumble. I didn't have an N64 so Rumble Arena, while the poor man's Smash, was all I had access to and I loved it.

Allio 08-02-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjinister (Post 1319636)
I was excited for Data Squad and saw two, maybe three episodes which were alright, but then they switched the date without any announcement that I saw... and now I don't have cable, so #yolo.

Yeah...Frontier and Savers' dubs didn't exactly have the most solid schedule when airing in the states

Netkeeper 08-02-2014 11:31 AM

I got to see all of Frontier when it was on Jetix. It's Tamers that had the weird airing schedule, IIRC; I wouldn't know about Savers since I haven't actually gotten around to watching that one yet and I know I should. Maybe I'll go buy the DVD set.

Anyway, I was so incredibly excited for this news it isn't even funny. I just wonder what it means for 02, since I honestly rather liked it [aside from its epilogue, obviously]. I'd probably rank the series Tamers > Adventure > Adventure 02 > Xros Wars > Frontier, as I skipped Savers when it came out since the protag didn't wear goggles [hey, I was a younger, shallower guy at the time!]

Peanut 08-02-2014 11:45 AM

Which is too bad, because Savers is probably the most consistently good season of all. Closely followed by Tamers, of course.

Ninjinister 08-02-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allio (Post 1319697)
Yeah...Frontier and Savers' dubs didn't exactly have the most solid schedule when airing in the states

Yeah I missed out about 1/3 of Frontier because of its airing inconsistency.

pharaohyami5000 08-02-2014 02:20 PM

Digimon is returning to television? That's fantastic news.

Wonder what the structure for this series will be? It did say Digimon Adventures to be returning, but will it be a new concept or is it planning to adapt the manga version?

Allio 08-02-2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pharaohyami5000 (Post 1319815)
planning to adapt the manga version?

man I would love a v-tamers animated series, but considering that the video specifically specifies Digimon Adventure, that isn't happening

Netkeeper 08-02-2014 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peanut (Post 1319740)
Which is too bad, because Savers is probably the most consistently good season of all. Closely followed by Tamers, of course.

Yeah, I'm well aware of that. I just haven't gotten a chance to see it since I didn't watch it when it was on TV... though I might not have had cable at the time anyway so it wouldn't have mattered!

Prowler 08-02-2014 05:36 PM

I remember watching the 3rd season of Digimon back when I was a kid. It was quite good, from what I remember. Never watched the others, but I've always heard good things about Digimon anime series.

Netkeeper 08-02-2014 05:39 PM

The 3rd one was Tamers. It's probably the best one, so you got the good one!

Prowler 08-02-2014 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Netkeeper (Post 1319921)
The 3rd one was Tamers. It's probably the best one, so you got the good one!

I was lucky then.

Same thing happened with Beyblade as well. I was aware of the first couple of seasons but only ended up watching the 3rd one. Man, the artwork for the first season looks terrible :lol:

Peanut 08-03-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Netkeeper (Post 1319917)
Yeah, I'm well aware of that. I just haven't gotten a chance to see it since I didn't watch it when it was on TV... though I might not have had cable at the time anyway so it wouldn't have mattered!

I never watched the dub, so I don't know what it was like and thus never watched it on TV, though I don't know that it ever even aired in Canada. Savers was actually the very first anime I ever watched completely subbed and followed while it aired in Japan.

Anyways, does anyone know how much Digimon is available on DVD and/or digitally at this point? I know Adventure, 02 and Tamers are pretty readily available, but what abouts Data Squad?

Also, did Xros Wars ever air or anything? Again, it never ever came to Canada, but I don't know that it even aired to completion in the US. I've watched 4 or 5 episodes on Crunchyroll, but it seems not so great.

Shred Head 08-03-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peanut (Post 1320436)
Also, did Xros Wars ever air or anything? Again, it never ever came to Canada, but I don't know that it even aired to completion in the US. I've watched 4 or 5 episodes on Crunchyroll, but it seems not so great.

I don't know anything about Canada but in America Xros Wars is pretty hard to find and its called Digimon Fusion for the west. It currently airs on Nicktoons Network a network not on allot of cable packages. Its also on the CW's kids block Vortex but that's going to be replaced with infomercials soon so I'm not really counting it. Tell the truth just stick with crunchy roll the dubb is awful this comes from a guy who loves most dubbs. This is also the most edited Digimon series to date. I'm talking they out 4Kids in editing I mean editing Lilymon's and Omnimon's cloths because there supposedly too sexual suggestive.

Also all the Digimon seasons from season one to Data Squad have all been released on DVD. But the DVD is english dubb only and so far I have heard no info of a uncut subbed release ever happening. Kinda shocked Monster Rancher can get an uncut subbed version but not Digimon.

Netkeeper 08-03-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peanut (Post 1320436)
I never watched the dub, so I don't know what it was like and thus never watched it on TV, though I don't know that it ever even aired in Canada. Savers was actually the very first anime I ever watched completely subbed and followed while it aired in Japan.

Anyways, does anyone know how much Digimon is available on DVD and/or digitally at this point? I know Adventure, 02 and Tamers are pretty readily available, but what abouts Data Squad?

I always watch dubs whenever they're available. I mutitask while I watch things, and you can't do that with a sub, so I rather dislike them if the dub is of watchable quality. I think the only subbed anime I have ever watched more than a few episodes of are Ginga Nagareboshi Gin and the first three Digimon series [they're my favourites so I made sure to watch both dub and sub; prefer the dubs of all three]. I also watched much of Xros Wars' sub since I was able to keep up with the releases of that one. Didn't like it much though and once a dub was announced I stopped.

Xros Wars' dub [Fusion] is currently airing on the CW in the states. I watch it whenever I have free Saturday mornings. It isn't too great, honestly, but Dorulumon's voice saved it from unwatchability.

And yes, Adventure, 02, and Tamers are all available on Netflix, and the first five series are all on DVD. Reasonably priced, too. Dubs make me very happy.

MikeandRaph87 08-03-2014 02:03 PM

I am a little confused here. Is it just Tai coming back with some new set or will Matt and the others return too? If there is some retconning involved or it picks up two years after Adventure 02 and includes more than just Tai and Agumon then count me in.

Netkeeper 08-03-2014 02:06 PM

I have no idea. I'm a little concerned about what it means for 02 myself, but it'd be nice if it erased the epilogue. There's a lot of opportunity here, and I hope it gets snatched up.

Allio 08-05-2014 07:54 AM

luckily, since this is an odd number season, this should be a great one

Peanut 08-05-2014 08:03 AM

If nothing else I'm sure it'll be a nostalgia trip for those of us who watched Adventure on Fox Kids all those years ago.

Netkeeper 08-05-2014 10:14 AM

And bought the toys. And video games. And colouring books. And school supplies.

Wait, that was just me? Okay.

Allio 08-05-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peanut (Post 1322393)
If nothing else I'm sure it'll be a nostalgia trip for those of us who watched Adventure on Fox Kids all those years ago.

luckily for me, I hold nostalgia for nothing.

Peanut 08-05-2014 03:40 PM

I guess? There's nothing wrong with it. It's only an issue if it won't allow you to let go of the past.

Netkeeper 08-05-2014 04:06 PM

But don't you know? Nostalgia is horrible. I hear it's the devil.

ssjup81 08-05-2014 08:35 PM

I was so disappointed that I couldn't go to the actual event because I couldn't get the time off from work, but hearing this news was nice. I never did watch XROS Wars (or whatever) outside of a couple of eps. When it was originally airing back then (Tuesday nights) I was usually working. Even then, it was more so background noise.

Out of the series I have seen though (first five), I still feel Tamers was the best. The story was okay, the characters were cool, and it, at no point, felt like the Takato show. The main three (Takato, Ruki, Jenrya) always remained the main three. Sure Takato got more stand out scenes, but he never was set up to hog it, imo. I also liked the fact that all of the problems were caused by human error, mostly.

For me, Frontier was my least enjoyed. I liked it fine for the first half, but later on it was too Takuya and Kouji heavy for my liking. I also felt that Kouichi should've had more done on him given the situation his character was in. I also still would've liked the twist ending of
Spoiler:
Kouichi being killed out

I guess I would rank it...

Digimon Tamers
Digimon Adventure/Adventure 02 (I always put it together since it's one big story)
Digimon Savers
Digimon Frontier

Even though I liked something about the other five series (and still find Tamers best series of the first five), Adventure/Adventure 02, for me, have some of the most...interesting characters for me, or it was just easier for me to get attached to them or something compared to the later series.

I wonder if the 02 kids'll be around and if so, everyone's ages will be....

Jou: 18 (Last year of HS)
Taichi/Sora/Yamato: 17 (2nd year of HS)
Koushirou/Mimi: 16 (1st year of HS)
Miyako: 15 (Last year at Odaiba JHS)
Takeru/Hikari/Daisuke/Ken: 14 (2nd year at Odaiba JHS)
Iori: 12 (Last year at Odaiba Elementary)

Edit: Forgot to share this...

http://digimon-adventure.net

Click the egg. The faster fans can hatch it, the sooner we get information.

Redeemer 08-05-2014 10:50 PM

The only Seasons I watched were the first 3????? I think.
Loved the 1st season, second season was sub par, Season 3 was a bounce back for me.

Netkeeper 08-05-2014 10:54 PM

Oh god, an 18 year old Joe would be hilarious. He'd ALWAYS be stressed about college. We all know he would be.

But yeah, in regards to what you said about Tamers: One of the things I really liked about it was Takato being so different than other team leaders in the series. He was much more laid back than Tai or anybody, really, and I think that's why he never seemed to be much of an attention hog despite the first several episodes being fixed on him.

I also liked how it wasn't as formulaic. In Adventure, we knew in the episode after Greymon evolved, we'd see Garurumon, and everyone else, one episode at a time. Tamers didn't do that. There were very few episodes that followed one character [which was Adventure's favourite formula] and instead, it developed its characters by putting them into team-wide danger, like with Megidramon. Not saying Adventure's formula was BAD, I just preferred Tamers'.

Ninjinister 08-05-2014 11:26 PM

Tamers was also balls-to-the-wall insane and creepy as hell at parts. Even in the dubbed version it was pretty clear how much darker it was than its previous two seasons.

ssjup81 08-05-2014 11:31 PM

I could see Jou stressing out because of University entrance exams, if the show goes that far as we didn't see him stressed over his upcoming high-school entrance exams for 02. He was stressed in Adventure originally because of his junior-high-school entrance exams, hence his attending juku/cram school even during his vacation time. Entrance exams for junior high school isn't the norm, hence his obviously being in private school in 02. Given that his father is a doctor, a Kido tradition dating back to the Edo era, I assumed that the school Jou was in for 02 was a good one. Anywho, high-school entrance exams are the norm (as high school in Japan isn't mandatory). Elementary and junior high isn't.

For this upcoming series, the students I could see being the busiest with real-life school stuff are Jou, Koushirou, Mimi (if she's back in Japan, which I really hope she is), and Miyako.

The junior-high kids (Takeru, Hikari, Daisuke, and Ken) may end up busy with real-life mandatory club activities. In Japan for JHS, it's mandatory for students to join a club activity...at least with public schools. Maybe private schools are different. This could also explain why we saw Koushirou so much, as he was in the Computer Club and more than Taichi, seemingly. Same with our seeing Yamato more than Sora. Taichi and Sora were in sports clubs, which are more time-consuming and meets more frequently.

Netkeeper 08-06-2014 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjinister (Post 1323115)
Tamers was also balls-to-the-wall insane and creepy as hell at parts. Even in the dubbed version it was pretty clear how much darker it was than its previous two seasons.

And this right here is ALSO part of its appeal to me.

Storm Eagle 08-06-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjinister (Post 1323115)

Tamers is on Netflix, so I ought to set some time to watch it. I can tell you that the dub version of the finale is always moving for me. I went to check out the original version to see if it might have the same effect on me, but it didn't.

ssjup81 08-06-2014 09:35 AM

I heard that the dub of Tamers wasn't bad.

Allio 08-06-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssjup81 (Post 1323379)
I heard that the dub of Tamers wasn't bad.

the later half wasn't bad. Tamers, Frontier, and Savers all had decent dubs. Data Squad is actually the one digimon series that is the closest to it's original version.

Fusion is the worst dub

ssjup81 08-06-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allio (Post 1323448)
the later half was bad. Tamers, Frontier, and Savers all had decent dubs. Data Squad is actually the one digimon series that is the closest to it's original version.

Fusion is the worst dub

For the most part, the dub of 02 caused me to drop it so I've never seen anything dubbed of Digimon since maybe the ep where Miyako took her class trip to Kyoto.

Pterobat 08-07-2014 10:09 AM

Ah, Digimon. I was way too old to watch it when it came on, but I did so anyway. Good times.

However, Tamers/Season 3 was so good it burned away almost all my interest in anything before or afterwards. It was quite a time, especially *because* it was so weird and meta-fictional.

Much of that can be attributed to Chiaki J. Konaka, the director of the series, who worked on stuff like Serial Experiments Lain, and is a known Lovecraft fan. Apparently this new direction for the franchise was polarizing, but I'm glad it happened.

I've never seen a full episode of Digimon in Japanese, though. I know all about the changes made to it, and I've seen plenty of subtitled anime, but just never felt the need to seek out my nostalgic cartoons in Japanese.

Netkeeper 08-07-2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allio (Post 1323448)
the later half wasn't bad. Tamers, Frontier, and Savers all had decent dubs. Data Squad is actually the one digimon series that is the closest to it's original version.

Fusion is the worst dub

Don't listen to him, he's biased against the dubs. They're all watchable, including Fusion, and that's all some people need.

I mean, Fusion's dub isn't the best, but I don't understand why so many people hate it. I generally just assume it's because it's what's on TV right now, since that always happens with a dub as it's airing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pterobat (Post 1324478)
Much of that can be attributed to Chiaki J. Konaka, the director of the series, who worked on stuff like Serial Experiments Lain, and is a known Lovecraft fan.

He's also a fan of Evangelion. Make of that what you will :V

ssjup81 08-07-2014 07:10 PM

I'm a bit biased of Digimon's dub. Adventure is the only one I've seen fully dubbed. I grew so annoyed with 02's dub I dropped it and stuck with the Japanese. After that, I just didn't bother with it. Adventure had its issues too, and can't bring myself to ever rewatch its dub. 02 I won't touch that dub with a 1000000 foot pole.

That aside, Chiaki also did one episode of Adventure 02. The episode where Hikari was trapped in the dark world where those Digimon technically
Spoiler:
wanted to rape her
. I prefer the original over the dubbed ep, though by a lot.

So, what do you hope for in the upcoming series.