The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Batman: The Killing Joke (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=52717)

TurtleTitan97 07-10-2015 10:44 PM

Batman: The Killing Joke

At long last, one of the greatest Batman/Joker stories ever written will be getting an animated adaption:

Quote:

Following the release of Justice League: Gods and Monsters, the next DC Entertainment animated feature will be Batman: The Killing Joke.

Due out in 2016, the story will be an adaptation of the controversial and acclaimed original graphic novel by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland. In the comics, The Joker escapes Arkham, shoots and paralyzes Barbara Gordon in order to terrorize her father, Gotham City Police Commissioner Jim Gordon.

There's no word yet on casting -- the film itself was just announced by Bruce Timm at the Comic Con International: San Diego panel for Justice League: Gods and Monsters -- but veteran Joker actor Mark Hamill has said in the past that he would un-retire the character for an adaptation of The Killing Joke...
http://comicbook.com/2015/07/11/batm...nimated-movie/

Hopefully Hamill gets casted as the Joker.

pennydreadful 07-10-2015 10:53 PM

Really looking forward to seeing this but man, I'm wondering how far they're going to go with the Joker's torture of Barbara. Like, how much they're going to show vs how much they're going to imply, know what I mean?

Definitely hope Mark Hamill does the VA work.

Slade 07-10-2015 11:07 PM

Sweet, I'm all for this.

I don't think Hamill will ever fully retire the Joker voice. I mean he just did it for Arkham Knight and all.

CyberCubed 07-10-2015 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennydreadful (Post 1481569)
Really looking forward to seeing this but man, I'm wondering how far they're going to go with the Joker's torture of Barbara. Like, how much they're going to show vs how much they're going to imply, know what I mean?

If its anything like Jason Todd in Under the Red Hood...not much. Joker beat Todd with a crowbar yet in the cartoon he looked hardly scratched with barely any blood or bruises. I was expecting it to be much more violent like the comics but they showed the beating mostly in shadows and barely any blood.

Most likely Barbara will just be shot.

TheCanadiandrome 07-10-2015 11:28 PM

Sweet can't wait for this

PangolinFeets 07-10-2015 11:56 PM

Ugh, this might be too dark for my tastes as an animated feature. Its not really an action-packed story. Its mostly the Joker being Satan in that ridiculous shirt.

ZariusTwo 07-11-2015 05:09 AM

Yes, because we're all begging to see an animated nekked Jim Gordon:P

Shred Head 07-11-2015 05:25 AM

Hell yeah I loved Killing Joke and I'm glad there doing a story from the past instead of New 52. I'm sure they will get Hamill it would be nice if his final swan song as Joker would be animated movie instead of a video game.

sdp 07-11-2015 12:47 PM

Hasn't Hammil "retired" the joker since the first Arkham Assylum game?

I wonder what they'll add to the story to make it into a movie. For "A death in the family" they basically only did it as a flash back to the origin of Red Hood. It'd be cool if they somehow incorporate Batgirl year one or a Batgirl story in the story since Batgirl has basically nothing to do in the movie besides being shot.

I actually thought the animated version of A Death in the Family was more graphic in the beating that he took when compared to the comic, the problem is that after all that damage he looks pretty much ok, I would've preferred a less graphic beating but seeing him all bruised up and beat up later.

Redeemer 07-11-2015 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennydreadful (Post 1481569)

Definitely hope Mark Hamill does the VA work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slade (Post 1481589)
Sweet, I'm all for this.

I don't think Hamill will ever fully retire the Joker voice. I mean he just did it for Arkham Knight and all.

Yeah seriously :lol: he was suppose to retire after Arkham City.
Quote:

Originally Posted by <TmNtRoX-1997> (Post 1481787)
Hasn't Hammil "retired" the joker since the first Arkham Assylum game?

I wonder what they'll add to the story to make it into a movie. For "A death in the family" they basically only did it as a flash back to the origin of Red Hood. It'd be cool if they somehow incorporate Batgirl year one or a Batgirl story in the story since Batgirl has basically nothing to do in the movie besides being shot.

I actually thought the animated version of A Death in the Family was more graphic in the beating that he took when compared to the comic, the problem is that after all that damage he looks pretty much ok, I would've preferred a less graphic beating but seeing him all bruised up and beat up later.

Mark Hammil has gone on record and said if they do a Killing Joke story then He would come back.
I would actually be willing to bet he will be voicing joker. The fans wants it, he wants and I guarantee you DC wants him to do it for marketing and publicity purposes.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 07-11-2015 02:49 PM

About frakking time!

MikeandRaph87 07-11-2015 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PangolinFeets (Post 1481622)
Ugh, this might be too dark for my tastes as an animated feature. Its not really an action-packed story. Its mostly the Joker being Satan in that ridiculous shirt.

I am with PF, I am not a fan of this graphic novel and it started Joker down a path that makes him psycho analyzed to death. I miss the fun yet deadly stories with Joker. That being said I would prefer The Laughing Fish or Happy, Birthday, Dreadful Joker adapted.

Spoiler:

Switch out Alfred for Batgirl and it would be perfect. Both are stories that showcase Joker as top of the line crazy and deadly yet provides a fun story.

Or if you want a more modern story I have wanted "Hush" adapted for a good while now.

TurtleTitan97 07-11-2015 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 (Post 1481887)
I am with PF, I am not a fan of this graphic novel and it started Joker down a path that makes him psycho analyzed to death. I miss the fun yet deadly stories with Joker. That being said I would prefer The Laughing Fish or Happy, Birthday, Dreadful Joker adapted.

Spoiler:

Switch out Alfred for Batgirl and it would be perfect. Both are stories that showcase Joker as top of the line crazy and deadly yet provides a fun story.

Or if you want a more modern story I have wanted "Hush" adapted for a good while now.

With the exception of Hush, I can't say I agree with the other two choices on being adapted honestly.

Leo656 07-11-2015 06:05 PM

Hush would be fun the same way Public Enemies was fun. People say Hush is less a story than a series of Boss Fights, and that's not wrong, but that's exactly why it would make for a great animated film. You have a perfectly valid excuse to do straight-up fan service without having to justify a $250 million budget.

Personally, I didn't mind "Hush" the comic story. There's not a lot to it but it was the kind of story you need to do every once in a while. Just a nice little "Greatest Hits" kinda deal in between all the more complicated stuff. I'd love it if they animated that one.

This ought'a be interesting, although quite a violent choice. You wonder what kind of creative changes they'll make.

pennydreadful 07-12-2015 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1481959)
This ought'a be interesting, although quite a violent choice. You wonder what kind of creative changes they'll make.

That's what I mean - I am definitely wondering how they're going to handle it. Particularly in light of the furor over that alternate Batgirl cover.

Bruce Timm anounced at SDCC this weekend that they're doing an alternate/new prologue.

sdp 07-12-2015 01:23 PM

Did you guys not see the Catwoman short in Batman Year One? A little "side boob" is not going to be a problem in this DTV.

Would Hush actually work? Half of the fun was the mystery if they would actually revive Jason Todd or not and if he was indeed Hush, instead the mystery ended up being fairly lame.

Leo656 07-12-2015 03:37 PM

My thing is, I doubt they'll have Joker torture Gordon by bombarding him with photos of Barbara, naked and crippled. I think THAT is gonna be a little too far for them to try and do. What I have a feeling they'll do instead, is maybe have one of Joker's henchmen record him shooting her, and then maybe make Gordon watch THAT over and over again, just the video clip of her getting shot. I mean it's kinda weak, and MAYBE they'll keep it comics-accurate, but I'll be surprised if they fully Go There. I'll be thrilled if it's super-accurate, but we'll see.

I mean kids DO still watch these things, even though they're ostensibly aimed at an older audience. Parents don't care, they see "super-hero cartoons" and they buy the DVD for their kids, especially if it's Batman.

Like I said, Hush wouldn't be great as a "real" movie but it'd be great as one of these things. Public Enemies was really just "Superman and Batman vs. Everyone", and it was terrific, one of the best they've done. "Hush" as an animated feature would be no different, just an excuse to do Batman vs. his entire Rogues Gallery. There's a time for Story and a time for Fan Service. I've never had any problem at all with Hush being firmly in the latter category. It would look great as an animated feature. Since it sold huge numbers I have no doubt they'll get around to it one day.

CyberCubed 07-12-2015 03:41 PM

If its anything like the Arkham Knight videogame which had a flashback of the Killing Joke, then the actual Joker/Batgirl scene is probably going to be extremely brief.

Don't forget in the "Under the Red Hood" movie, Joker torturing Jason Todd was extremely brief and being hit with the crowbar barely did any damage to his face and had minimal bleeding. It was no more extreme than the fight scenes seen in the Justice League cartoon.

Even though these movies are allowed to show death and have cursing, the actual fighting is barely any different than the cartoons.

Leo656 07-12-2015 03:43 PM

But that would be a lot more damaging to the adaptation of this particular story, where the plot was secondary and the violence was the entire point.

CyberCubed 07-12-2015 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1482260)
But that would be a lot more damaging to the adaptation of this particular story, where the plot was secondary and the violence was the entire point.

These movies have always been a very loose adaption of the comic stories. The two Damian Wayne movies they made basically mixed like 5 years worth of comic stories into two movies along with the Court of Owls.

Remember these movies aren't typically aimed at comic fans, they're aimed at people who never picked up a comic in their life but watched the other DC cartoons aired on TV. They were never meant to be 1:1 adaptions.