The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek XIV? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59240)

Andrew NDB 12-04-2017 07:49 PM

Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek XIV?

http://www.tasteofcinema.com/wp-cont...-tarantino.jpg

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-movie-1064206

And here's an older article from a couple of months ago where he talks about his wish to take "City on the Edge of Forever" and make it feature length, within the Abramsverse (yet remarking that TNG's "Yesterday's Enterprise" is his favorite so ever) : https://www.cinemablend.com/news/170...d-like-to-make

I dunno... and Abrams still aboard as producer? Why?

Cure 12-04-2017 07:51 PM

I just want another one of those movies. I love them so much.

TigerClaw 12-04-2017 07:56 PM

Weren't they gonna do the 4th Star Trek movie, with Kirk meeting his father? who was played by Chris Hemsworth in the first one.

Andrew NDB 12-04-2017 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerClaw (Post 1732857)
Weren't they gonna do the 4th Star Trek movie, with Kirk meeting his father?

That was before Beyond bombed. It was always just talk, probably to tantalize people into getting that "treat" if they turned up to see Beyond... they didn't.

TigerClaw 12-04-2017 08:20 PM

I wonder what Quentin Tarantino pitched for the new Star Trek movie, he normally doesn't do these type of movies, he's always done his own stuff, so far he's done two Westerns, and we never seen him tackle Scifi movies, but this would be a first if he does.

Andrew NDB 12-04-2017 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerClaw (Post 1732862)
I wonder what Quentin Tarantino pitched for the new Star Trek movie

If the interview from two months ago is to be believed, a feature length Abramsverse version of the TOS episode "City at the Edge of Forever" probably. But maybe not.

Here's where I am on this, I think.

Pros:

* It will almost undoubtedly be a great movie and highly witty and entertaining.
* Tarantino is a huge Trek fan, and of the right kind of Trek. His favorite episode of Trek is TNG's "Yesterday's Enterprise."
* It would probably be -- storytelling-wise -- a great bit of course correction from the Abrams flavor of storytelling (explosions! more action! more explosions!). It would show that Trek can work on the big screen in ways other than the Abrams movies.

Cons:

* From an interview two months ago it sounds like Tarantino wants to pitch a feature-length "City on the Edge of Forever" set in the Abramsverse. In other words... another remake/prequel.
* It'll probably be the Abramsverse.
* If it's Abramsverse, further cementing that as "modern day Trek," that makes it even less likely that non-Abramsverse/prequel/connections-to-Kirk-and-Spock TV shows will be greenlit. So get ready for a lot more stuff like STD.
* While it may be a great done-in-one kind of film, I'm not sure we can put a lot of faith in whoever/whatever follows it will follow suit in kind or do any kind of quality control after Tarantino drops the mic and is done with the film. I mean, he's not going to do the sequel, or helm a TV show afterward. It'll just fall back to Abrams and his cronies.

CyberCubed 12-05-2017 11:37 AM

How do you know it's going to be in the same movie verse and not be something totally new or different?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 12-05-2017 11:45 AM

I like Tarantino.

But no. Not for any reason.

If somebody wants to do great Star Trek, bring Ronald D Moore back.

Andrew NDB 12-05-2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1732939)
How do you know it's going to be in the same movie verse and not be something totally new or different?

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/170...d-like-to-make

Because he specifically mentioned a couple of months ago that he'd need to "find something for Zoe Saldana and John Cho to do" in his "City on the Edge of Forever" movie and that he "sees the reboot (Abramsverse) as an opportunity."

It doesn't mean at the end of the day his actual Star Trek movie pitch will be that, or even for sure Abramsverse-based, but it does show where his head is at with it.

CyberCubed 12-05-2017 11:57 AM

For some reason I feel like the new Star Trek reboot movies needs to make 6 movies to match the 6 movies the original Star Trek crew got. We're only 3 movies down, so we should get another 3 to go.

Especially before the current actors get too old. Chris Pine is nearly 40.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 12-05-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1732949)
For some reason I feel like the new Star Trek reboot movies needs to make 6 movies to match the 6 movies the original Star Trek crew got. We're only 3 movies down, so we should get another 3 to go.

Especially before the current actors get too old. Chris Pine is nearly 40.

No.

We don't need a "Benedict Cumberbatch is NOT playing General Chang" in "The Undiscovered Remix."

Andrew NDB 12-05-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1732949)
For some reason I feel like the new Star Trek reboot movies needs to make 6 movies to match the 6 movies the original Star Trek crew got.

Nah, f*** that crew. The TNG crew only got 4 movies.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 12-05-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1732961)
Nah, f*** that crew. The TNG crew only got 4 movies.

Worst TNG movie in your opinion?

I'll go first... Insurrection.

Andrew NDB 12-05-2017 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1732964)
Worst TNG movie in your opinion?

I'll go first... Insurrection.

"Nemesis" by a landslide for me. It was upsetting how bad that was and WoK-rip-offy that was. Who knew that only two movies later they'd do an even more blatant WoK rip-off. "Nemesis" also began the "The big bad guy in a BIG BLACK SHIP we need to FIGHT!" thing that would be in 3 back-to-back Star Trek movies.

"Insurrection" isn't bad but it never should have been a movie. It should have been a two part episode on the show though even then, it would have been a forgettable one.

Prowler 12-05-2017 12:53 PM

I wonder how he'll fit in the word ninja in this movie...

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 12-05-2017 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1732965)
"Nemesis" by a landslide for me. It was upsetting how bad that was and WoK-rip-offy that was. Who knew that only two movies later they'd do an even more blatant WoK rip-off. "Nemesis" also began the "The big bad guy in a BIG BLACK SHIP we need to FIGHT!" thing that would be in 3 back-to-back Star Trek movies.

"Insurrection" isn't bad but it never should have been a movie. It should have been a two part episode on the show though even then, it would have been a forgettable one.

Yeah, but I'll take a Trek-lite movie with Picard and Data starring again over "fountain of youth two-parter" crap. :tlol:

newfan 12-05-2017 01:34 PM

Insurrection was my least favorite. TNG

I like 2, 4, 6 and 8.

Cubed, Pine is 37, the original crew were way past that by 6 :) well actually past it by the 1st movie.

Andrew NDB 12-05-2017 01:41 PM

I'd probably rate them...

newfan 12-05-2017 01:52 PM

I need to think about my order for all of them, forgot to add the new ones.

I was just remembering years ago when the Simpsons made fun of Star Trek with the 'Star Trek 10, We're tired' (something like that) that was before there were 10, now we have 13

TigerClaw 12-05-2017 04:14 PM

Everyone knows that the even number Star Trek movies were the best ones.