The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TMNT Movie Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Look at this old 2009 news confirmation of the movie when Laird was involved (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=48869)

CyberCubed 08-12-2014 09:04 PM

Look at this old 2009 news confirmation of the movie when Laird was involved

Man...what could have been. This is when the movie news was originally announced back in 2009, which was even before they announced the sale to Nick:

http://plairdblog.blogspot.com/2009/...ohn-fusco.html

Quote:

By now, you may have already heard about or read the news in "Variety" about the writer chosen for the new TMNT movie project, John Fusco. Here's the official release:

"JOHN FUSCO TO WRITE SCREENPLAY FOR
“TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES” MOTION PICTURE

Veteran Hollywood Scribe to Write Screenplay for Film Scheduled for 2011 Release

Los Angeles, CA (July 21, 2009) — TMNT Productions, in association with Mirage Studios, has signed veteran screenwriter John Fusco to create the script for the upcoming live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theatrical film targeted for release in 2011. Fusco joins the creative team with producers Scott Mednick (“300,” “Superman Returns”) and Galen Walker (“TMNT”) to re-tell the origin story of the legendary foursome of the characters co-created by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird.

Fusco brings a unique perspective to the classic property, with credits ranging from the original “Young Guns” and its sequel to "Hidalgo" and last year's "The Forbidden Kingdom" starring Jet Li and Jackie Chan. He also recently completed the script for a contemporary version of the classic "Seven Samurai" for The Weinstein Company.

In addition to his film industry credits, Fusco brings years of martial arts training and inspiration to the new screenplay. His interest in Korean martial arts began at age 12, and his passion continues today through ongoing study of Shaolin Kung Fu as well as the history and culture behind these ancient practices.

"It is always exciting when you can come aboard a project that bridges the worlds of what you do with what you love,” said Fusco. “I have always been a fan of the Turtles and the world of martial arts is my lifelong passion. I look forward to this great opportunity."

“John brings to our team the perfect blend of talent, expertise and enthusiasm for the property and the genre,” said Mednick. "We are committed to bringing to the screen a vital, vibrant and contemporary effort that is the next chapter in this venerable franchise."

“Working with the original comics created by Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman will allow both the new and first generations of fans to experience the Turtles in a whole new light,” said Walker. “Tapping into the rich of history of these heroic and loved brethren should prove to be a phenomenal collaborative adventure for us all.”

“From the first stages of planning this movie, we were committed to finding a group of the most passionate, creative and experienced individuals, who appreciated the history and myth of the TMNT, to craft a new vision of the Turtles for Mirage to share with current fans and to captivate a whole new generation,” said Gary Richardson CEO, Mirage Studios.

Announcement of Fusco’s role comes as the Turtles’ 25th Anniversary “Shell-ebration” culminates its cross-country tour at San Diego Comic-Con where Fusco, Mednick and Walker will join Turtles co-creator Kevin Eastman and Steve Barron (director of the original 1990's film) and others on a panel to discuss the project and the history of the property on Friday, July 24.

Peter Laird, Gary Richardson, Frederick Fierst, Eric Crown and Napoleon Smith III will serve as executive producers of the film. The project is being funded through Lightbox Productions, LLC.
Imagine if they went with the original directors with Peter Laird was executive producer? We would have gotten a billion times better movie than what we got.

It makes me sad knowing what could have been.

Leolead 08-12-2014 09:06 PM

Remember that head mannequin?

Slap-Happy 08-12-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leolead (Post 1331300)

No, because there was none.

Xiewin 08-12-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1331299)
Man...what could have been. This is when the movie news was originally announced back in 2009, which was even before they announced the sale to Nick:

Imagine if they went with the original directors with Peter Laird was executive producer? We would have gotten a billion times better movie than what we got.

Didn't they sell the rights to Nick? If so, isn't that entirely their fault?

But yeah I wish they could have used John Fusco's script. It was probably was a billion times better than the movie we already got.

Ughh is there anyway to persuade these PD idiots to change the writers and the director? Seeing how all this potential was wasted is starting to make me desperate.

Warhorse 08-12-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1331299)

Well, I may get a lot of hate for this, but could'ves, would'ves and should'ves are useless now, especially when it's Laird's fault for selling the property outright where he now has 0 control what will happen to it.

And, I think Nick got the franchise at a ridiculously low price. If it were me, I would have been charging like 100 million, per Turtle.

Casey 08-12-2014 09:26 PM

A black and white, live-action, stylized, martial arts focused turtle flick based on Mirage. Whoa.

If it worked for other graphic novels, why not this one? I'd have even settled for a Watchmen esque film.

CyberCubed 08-12-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhorse (Post 1331310)
And, I think Nick got the franchise at a ridiculously low price. If it were me, I would have been charging like 100 million, per Turtle.

Laird said Nick offered the highest price. There was another company he didn't name that offered to buy the turtles but he said their price was "insulting and laughable" which is why he didn't sell it to them. So Nick must have offered the best.

TurtleTitan97 08-12-2014 09:32 PM

Hopefully some day Fusco's script will leak online somehow. Would be fun to read what he wrote for this film.

Warhorse 08-12-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1331317)
Laird said Nick offered the highest price. There was another company he didn't name that offered to buy the turtles but he said their price was "insulting and laughable" which is why he didn't sell it to them. So Nick must have offered the best.

I wish I knew it was for sale, I would have offered 200 million.

ShellShock 08-12-2014 09:37 PM

Holy ****, this movie has really been in production for a while! Since it mentions the fact that it's funded through LightBox Productions and since the producers were a few of the producers for the finished product this must mean that Paramount didn't ditch the John Fusco version but instead just evolved it.

TurtleTitan97 08-12-2014 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShellShock (Post 1331328)
Holy ****, this movie has really been in production for a while! Since it mentions the fact that it's funded through LightBox Productions and since the producers were a few of the producers for the finished product this must mean that Paramount didn't ditch the John Fusco version but instead just evolved it.

What do you mean? None of the producers listed had any involvement with the new film.

CyberCubed 08-12-2014 09:41 PM

The deal for a film came in early 2009, which was before the sale to Nick even.

ShellShock 08-12-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 (Post 1331330)
What do you mean? None of the producers listed had any involvement with the new film.

Galen Walker and Scott Mednick were credited as producers for the 2014 movie.

sdp 08-12-2014 09:48 PM

That movie would've been great, but oh well I'm sure we'll get a great movie eventually but this new take we got wasn't that bad and far better than the 2007 film that we got when Mirage was in charge, let's not fool ourselves, it's not like the original plan from that interview couldn't have changed a lot or maybe even never been made.

Powder 08-12-2014 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShellShock (Post 1331328)

It wasn't "evolved" at all, it was straight up scrapped for being "too dark & violent". Kevin Eastman was quoted as saying it would have been the best TMNT movie ever made.

NYShell 08-13-2014 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiewin (Post 1331302)
Didn't they sell the rights to Nick? If so, isn't that entirely their fault?

It definitely is.

Candy Kappa 08-13-2014 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leolead (Post 1331300)

You mean that one make-up & Effects student's final project that was mistaken to be official work?

Yes, I do remember it, a fine piece of craftsmanship, and had nothing to do with the movie.

Prowler 08-13-2014 03:21 AM

Back when we thought we were going to get a mature TMNT movie based on Mirage? Yea, I remember. It did get many of us fairly excited.

I also remember the day it was announced that Nick had acquired TMNT.

MrTMNT2012 08-13-2014 06:02 AM

Seemed like they were more interested in making good martial arts scenes rather than an actual movie.

d_osborn 08-13-2014 07:01 AM

Yeah, I'm REALLY hoping the Fusco script leaks out.