The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TMNT Comic Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   TMNT The Armageddon Game event series - this August (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=64999)

hypered1 05-17-2022 11:15 AM

TMNT The Armageddon Game event series - this August

Tom Waltz has confirmed that there will be an accompanying 8-part 'event' series starting in August:

(Warning for some spoilers)

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/te...redder-leader/

ProphetofGanja 05-17-2022 12:44 PM

Nice, something to get stoked about

I'm curious what the coming solicits for the ongoing will tease for the fall when Armageddon Game starts up

hypered1 05-17-2022 02:21 PM

So I've spoken with Sophie to get a clearer idea of how the Armageddon Game is going to be structured and it's pretty huge:

It starts with the 2-part Opening Moves then will encompass the following -

Ongoing #131 - #138
Armageddon Game #1 - #8

Plus some character focussed one-shots.

Depending on the release pattern the whole thing is going to take the best part of a year.

CyberCubed 05-17-2022 03:38 PM

Sounds like it could also work as a possible series finale. While I don't expect the series to end, it is good we're finally getting this massive final arc to hopefully wrap up Rat King and the Pantheon story and most of the villains like Leather/Krang, Null, Baxter, and whatever they do with Shredder and Ch'rell.

Coola Yagami 05-17-2022 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypered1 (Post 1930603)
So I've spoken with Sophie to get a clearer idea of how the Armageddon Game is going to be structured and it's pretty huge:

It starts with the 2-part Opening Moves then will encompass the following -

Ongoing #131 - #138
Armageddon Game #1 - #8

Plus some character focussed one-shots.

Depending on the release pattern the whole thing is going to take the best part of a year.

Why is Sophie still involved? Isn't actual TMNT plot moving forward kinda out of her wheelhouse?

hypered1 05-17-2022 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1930627)
Sounds like it could also work as a possible series finale. While I don't expect the series to end, it is good we're finally getting this massive final arc to hopefully wrap up Rat King and the Pantheon story and most of the villains like Leather/Krang, Null, Baxter, and whatever they do with Shredder and Ch'rell.

It's not planned to be the end of the series at the moment because as Sophie has been confirmed as staying on after Armageddon.

hypered1 05-17-2022 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1930628)
Why is Sophie still involved? Isn't actual TMNT plot moving forward kinda out of her wheelhouse?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 (Post 1930632)
So is Tom writing the Armageddon Game limited series while Campbell continues on the TMNT ongoing title?

I'm not sure of the specifics but the project as a whole is a collab between Tom and Sophie (and possibly others for the one-shots) and even then whatever's planned at this point could easily get shuffled around a bit however MikeandRaph87 is most likely correct in regards to which person will be 'leading' each set of issues' writing.

Ninjinister 05-17-2022 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1930628)

You know, you can hate the story as it is right now, but lying about what has been happening to make it look worse is just outright asinine. Outside of the Slithery stuff none of it would qualify as filler even to the most jaded person.

How do you people even qualify as functional adults?

Chaotix12345 05-17-2022 06:12 PM

Nice to see Cudley make his IDW debut. Wonder if it'll be like Renet and he'll be the same one from the Archieverse.

Zog The Magnificent 05-17-2022 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjinister (Post 1930659)
You know, you can hate the story as it is right now, but lying about what has been happening to make it look worse is just outright asinine. Outside of the Slithery stuff none of it would qualify as filler even to the most jaded person.

Are we reading the same comic? After the initial 5 issues arc up until about #126 or so, everything that's happened has been pretty bad filler. Sure, a few things have mattered, but everything from the stupid battle of the bands to the mayoral election has been fairly pointless nonsense and much of it had nothing to do with the main overarching plot lines. Condense all of the important parts, and across those 21 issues you end up with enough substance to fill out about 7 or 8 issues. But instead, it was dragged out for two and half long years, only just recently moving along the actual plot elements that the story has been following since the beginning.

Leo656 05-17-2022 08:02 PM

Quote:

What an odd statement to make.

It is "functional adults" who are in fact the ones capable of understanding texture, and nuance, and context, of looking at things with a critical eye and furthermore having the vocabulary to explain, "Here is What I don't like, and here is Why I don't like it."

Conversely, it is Actual Children who simply like anything and everything with a brand-name sticker on it, even if it is terrible. "I luv muh TMNT cuz it's TMNT!" and so forth.

How very odd to be mad at people simply for having grown-up wants and taste, and not simply swallowing anything they're spoonfed.

Quote:

none of it would qualify as filler even to the most jaded person.

Well, luckily for you I actually AM the Most Jaded Person. And I see filler. Lots and lots of filler. :trazz:

MikeandRaph87 05-17-2022 08:05 PM

I am hesitant to pick up anything from Campbell after my favorite comic became well...furry fan fiction and I am trying to determine if I can get full appreciation of the event by just reading the mini-series and any one-shot without returning to the ongoing.

Coola Yagami 05-17-2022 08:10 PM

i thought this was an arc on the actual ongoing. It's what a lot of it was leading up before the filler. So what exactly will be happening in the on-going during this time?

Also I don't know what you guys are talking about in terms of 'grand finale' or whatever.

"This story is going to be huge! There are a ton of players (and more than a few surprises), and honestly, this is just the start. When we reach the end of this saga, it will mark the beginning of a whole new era for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Whether you're a lifelong fan of TMNT or brand-new to the party, The Armageddon Game is not to be missed."

CyberCubed 05-17-2022 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zog The Magnificent (Post 1930662)
Are we reading the same comic? After the initial 5 issues arc up until about #126 or so, everything that's happened has been pretty bad filler. Sure, a few things have mattered, but everything from the stupid battle of the bands to the mayoral election has been fairly pointless nonsense and much of it had nothing to do with the main overarching plot lines. Condense all of the important parts, and across those 21 issues you end up with enough substance to fill out about 7 or 8 issues. But instead, it was dragged out for two and half long years, only just recently moving along the actual plot elements that the story has been following since the beginning.

I'd say the karai/rahzar/tokka issues were alright, if only because it also finally resolved Karai's feud with the turtles. Remember it was still unresolved after City at war.

Zog The Magnificent 05-17-2022 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1930682)
I'd say the karai/rahzar/tokka issues were alright, if only because it also finally resolved Karai's feud with the turtles. Remember it was still unresolved after City at war.

Like I said, there were a few important things that happened, but only enough of them to few a third of the issues we got we got, and they were intermixed with tons of stuff that didn't really matter.

Leo656 05-17-2022 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1930674)
Also I don't know what you guys are talking about in terms of 'grand finale' or whatever.

Wishful thinking, probably. A lot of people just want this series to end so it can be rebooted and hopefully be much better.

The problem with that is, they're not considering the way things work nowadays. If the TMNT comic were to be rebooted by IDW, they'd just have Campbell on it from Issue #1 and it would be their unfiltered vision, or close to it. So it would just be a lot more of what these people don't like, except rather than an unwelcome intrusion into someone else's ongoing story it would just be completely Their Story from the ground up.

I empathize with those who want the book to end so it can get a do-over, but those folks would be best served by getting reacquainted with the fable of the Monkey's Paw. Because that's what would happen, so long as IDW holds the license.

Now, if IDW lost the license and someone else got a hold of it... well, who knows? TMNT is such damaged goods in 2022 I'm skeptical any other publisher would even want it. The He-Man comics apparently sold a lot better than IDW TMNT but DC had no problem letting that one slip away, so I doubt they'd care to try and snag TMNT either.

Licensed comics are a sinkhole, nobody reputable wants them anymore. Which is how IDW ended up with so many of them in the first place.

Coola Yagami 05-17-2022 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1930691)

The problem with that is, they're not considering the way things work nowadays. If the TMNT comic were to be rebooted by IDW, they'd just have Campbell on it from Issue #1 and it would be their unfiltered vision, or close to it.

Hmmm that's true. They might go 'all in' and make it so one of the Turtles is gay/bi, April is trans and either Jennika or Venus or some other new made-up female Turtle will be one of them from day one. Like they could make it so it's always been 5 Turtles (one of them being female) since issue 1.

Zog The Magnificent 05-17-2022 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1930696)
Hmmm that's true. They might go 'all in' and make it so one of the Turtles is gay/bi, April is trans and either Jennika or Venus or some other new made-up female Turtle will be one of them from day one. Like they could make it so it's always been 5 Turtles (one of them being female) since issue 1.

That's happened with every franchise these days. I figure it'll happen to this one as well. Though I want IDW to end more out of mercy. I'm already emotionally invested in this, I just want an ending so I can leave. Then if the next iteration sucks I can just ignore it. It's probably a sunk cost thing at this point but I would be more annoyed being left hanging than sludging through the Cambell run. At least then it's something to disect later.

ChosenOne 05-17-2022 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1930696)

And don't forget Splinter with blue hair!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Trans!

Coola Yagami 05-17-2022 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChosenOne (Post 1930705)
And don't forget Splinter with blue hair!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Trans!

Now that would be something. Not the blue hair, but maybe a younger Splinter that's maybe 2 years or so older and still the master of ninjitsu when compared to the turtles. That ways he can shed the fragile old master stereotype and join the gang on the adventures.

Or heck, who knows. Make Splinter a woman and raise the Turtles as feminists. Bonus points if it's Tang Shen.