The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Music (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Men who listen to female singers/pop-stars (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=61907)

CyberCubed 09-26-2019 09:01 AM

Men who listen to female singers/pop-stars

What are your thoughts on this?

newfan 09-26-2019 09:17 AM

What? Not something I ever thought about. I mean, don't you either just like a song/track or not? can be made by anyone.

Wesley 09-26-2019 09:24 AM

Um, nearly half of my favourite bands/artists are female singers/pop stars so I’m obviously fine with it. Men listening to just them I would find odd, though. I don’t care much for pop music in general (teen idols, boy bands, etc).

AquaParade 09-26-2019 09:40 AM

I listen to plenty of female artists. Some pop, some not. Phoebe Bridgers is the first that comes to mind, lately. She's a bit of folk, pop, indie, whatever.
I also listen to everything from Slipknot to Elton John.

Sumac 09-26-2019 12:45 PM

Completely normal, you are just old 'cubed.

IMJ 09-26-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1820570)
What are your thoughts on this?

Can you be more specific?

Like... are you trying to shake the trees to see what falls out - like a guy who listens to Brittney Spears and Hilary Duff? Because your thread could also be addressing years of pop singers from an era like the 80's where that was basically all of mainstream radio outside of hair metal or house music.

This is either a provocative question to sniff out weirdos, or it's a question meant for a music-seasoned-psycho like Patrick Bateman. :lol:

Andrew NDB 09-26-2019 10:01 PM

You can't objectively say that's not empowering, can you? ;)

I used to listen to a lot of Britney Spears when no one was around. That was back when I would think a lot about having a lot of sex with Britney Spears, though. When that went away, so did her from my playlist.

I still do have "popstars" like Natalie Imbruglia, Colbie Caillat, and Michelle Branch in my playlist. That stuff seems to age better.

Roseangelo 09-26-2019 10:14 PM

I'm just going to assume this question is being asked because Cyber has never considered listening to music by lowly females.

AT-Man 09-27-2019 02:10 AM

I'm ashamed of listening to female music, because I fear someone might find out I like that stuff. I don't know what I would do if that happened, so I'll never tell anyone.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 09-27-2019 03:11 AM

Nothing different than women who listen to male singers.

Voltron 09-27-2019 03:20 AM

I did it once. But I wore has a hazmat suit and stared directly at piece of the true Crucifix in order to keep their siren songs from driving me mad with sinful lust.

Afterwards, I had one of those radiation scrub downs but with holy water and holy soap. Then I did that plunger thing from Ace Ventura.

Vegita-San 09-27-2019 05:14 AM

Leave cube alone. He CLEARLY just heard 'It's raining men' for the first time and wants to know if it's OK to like it.

The Great Saiyaman 09-27-2019 05:25 AM

I'm a man and I listen to female singer/Pop stars, what are you implying, that I should be ashamed of that?

Kate Bush is one of my favorite artists of all times.

Björk is another singer who's work I really enjoy.

Kim Deal of the Breeders

Belly

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 09-27-2019 10:06 AM

Alright, let's all educate Cubed. :trolleye: Here's my contribution:

Andrew NDB 09-27-2019 10:18 AM

I don't think any of those qualify as "pop stars." Someone says "pop star" I'm thinking like Britney, Christina Aguilera, Hailee Steinfeld, etc..

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 09-27-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1820703)
I don't think any of those qualify as "pop stars." Someone says "pop star" I'm thinking like Britney, Christina Aguilera, Hailee Steinfeld, etc..

He does say singers / pop stars.

But I don't see our man Cubed listening to metal either. :tlol:

The Great Saiyaman 09-27-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1820703)

He said Female Singers/Popstars, so I took at as female singers in general. But in the current pop music, Britney and Christina and the likes are no longer relevant.

Andrew NDB 09-27-2019 10:25 AM

Well, if we're to include straight up female singers... then I have a lot.

Leona Lewis, for sure. Nothing like a good power ballad popping up in between my NWA and Marilyn Manson tracks.

The Great Saiyaman 09-27-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1820705)
He does say singers / pop stars.

But I don't see our man Cubed listening to metal either. :tlol:

Which is why I posted more arty stuff such as Björk and Kate Bush.

But you can also look at it from a more urban kind of vibe.

And let's be honest, as guys we ALL enjoy the Schadenfreude which comes with an "Oh boy, sucks to be you dude!" song where a woman singer tells her man to gather up his things and move out. And even more so if that guy she's throwing out is a well known person in his own right.

"What have you done for me lately?" is Janet Jackson addressing her then husband James DeBarge of the band DeBarge. When they married it was as a means for Janet to get away from her controlling father. But the marriage was a disaster and DeBarge himself has since admitted that he was in no shape to properly take care of Janet as he was struggling with a drug addiction which caused him to spend all their money and spend days on end strung out. To his credit he says that he deserved all the verbal jabs that Janet gave him.

"Tyrone" is about Erykah Badu addressing her long term boyfriend and father of her child, Andre 2000 of Outcast. It basically an updated version of "what have you done for me lately." Andre later returned the "compliment" in the song "I'm sorry Ms. Jackson"

Cryomancer 09-27-2019 12:17 PM

It's laughable that anyone would have anything other than zero problem with this.