View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #66
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Most of what "worked" in this movie, for me was based on my prior knowledge/relationship with the characters. Not sure if this is what PGP is getting at, but you could....probably...do a TMNT movie where the ground work is assumed, and just get into a new story proceeding from what is already known about the characters and their relationships.

Heck, I'd almost say if they re-boot Spider-man and Batman again, do we really need the deaths of Uncle Ben and the Waynes to be seen on screen? (Almost) EVERYONE knows the back story, just get on with the new story....or at least maybe show it in small flash-back snippets.
I think it's important to establish or touch on the backstory/motivations of the characters, even if it's very brief. You don't always need to cover the origin again. But even sequels tend to touch on/remind the audience why the characters do what they do, because even if they and their stories are iconic, every story should be able to stand on its own and cover the essential character work. Just do it in a natural way that progresses things forward. A writer can do that in a matter of seconds if they're good.