View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 01:31 PM   #18
puirnaut
Random Punk

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I agree. Even back then, the whole point about the hate was that no one really wanted a fifth turtle, it was considered an unnecessary addition. And the boobs: they were seen as weird as the nipples on the Batman suit in Batman Forever.
Personally, I wouldn't mind a reintroduction of the character as long as it is well written AND it is not a permanent member of the turtles family. The turtles received a Japanese education from Splinter, it would be interesting to see a new turtle with a Chinese culture and a different view of the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmff View Post
That's exactly it though. It's my point of view. There is no right or wrong. My primary issue with Venus is that I wouldn't like her to be equal in importance to the show as Leo, Donnie, Raph and Mikey. I wouldn't want her in every episode as a main character. I might be able to put up with seeing Venus on screen again in a new capacity but I definitely don't want her as a main character. I don't mind having female mutants but a female turtle just irks me. It probably partly has to do with people automatically shipping her with the turtles as a result. I was not a fan of Venus's costume design either. Harley Quinn is an antagonist rather than a protagonist. I prefer versions of Batman where he's working alone rather than with the Boy Wonder or Batgirl.
As for the costume design, it's probably a matter of taste. If you think about Saban's other works of the same Power Rangers, this was probably their approach. If you remember the opponents of the monster Rangers-female characters, then basically all of them had tits. Now the time is different and the view of such things has changed. When I watched this show back then, I didn't think about why Venus has tits. Probably because the breasts were added to other characters in other TV series or cartoons, where the female characters were not people, but were mutants or monsters.

At the expense of Venus taking a leading position. I want her to become a part of the turtle world again, of course she can't displace the main four it's already clear and it's certainly not necessary.
Maybe I'm offended to realize that Venus was so harshly met, although it seemed to me then an interesting innovation. I'm not talking about any romantic directions of the character, I mean in general. Aside from her background, I like what they put into her. The origin was far-fetched I agree. But that is why it would be possible to give her a new origin and the rest of the features of her character to reveal in more detail and more interesting. It's just that Jennika wasn't so well received. I also like this character, but I would not want to forget about Venus at all. I think now everything would be different and Venus would be met much warmer.

Last edited by puirnaut; 01-13-2021 at 01:42 PM.
puirnaut is offline   Reply With Quote