View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 06:05 AM   #35
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

I have always been more of a TMNT comic guy. To me they were and will always be the best representation of the turtles. However, I still enjoyed the OT and original movie renditions of the turtles quite a bit. The original movie is still one of my top ten fav movies of all time. When the Next Mutation hit I had already been a few years out of high school. I remember the NM as being Utterly stupid. I thought the costumes looked ridiculous and the introduction of a girl turtle with magical powers made me want to vomit. The Next Mutation was one giant gimmick. I hate gimmicky stuff in the first place. The whole purpose of a gimmick is to make a quick buck and that's the feeling I got from NM, that it was produced to try and recapture whatever TMNT spark was still out there and make a quick buck doing so. Up until then that was one thing that I always loved and respected about the Ninja Trutles, they (almost) never got gimmicky (TMNT the movie III was pretty gimmicky). TMNT III and NM really tarnished the TMNT brand for me at that point. I obviously still love the turtles today, i just ignore all the rediculous stuff that i don't like.

on another note, to me, it sounds like this topic was a pretty substantial widener of the already existing rift between pete and kevin. the feeling i'm getting after reading various blogs and interviews is that kevin was willing to branch out and do some things (that he probably would have not been willing to do previously) to increase marketing and profits. Where pete, i get the feeling he cared more about the content of his beloved creation than the money.