View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #83
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
For reference, are we talking about the flagship Superman series or the franchise in general, and from how far back are we going back to track better sales?
I'm probably being over-enthusiastic, but ever since Rebirth began in the early summer, both Action Comics and Superman have been doing very well in the top ten and interest has increased in old 90s back-issues featuring that older Clark Kent.

Quote:
When you say "RYV being the main one," are you suggesting that the RYV Parkers get ported over to 616, like DC is doing with Superman, or something else, like the RYV series just becomes the flagship Spidey comic, even if it stays in the RYV universe?
Porting over the RYV Parkers would be my preferred endgame, but I was wondering if, assuming it does not follow the continuity of the original series, that RYV can be seen as a mirror opposite to 616, with a similar history only the Parkers remained married.

I sort of see RYV as being potentially this decade's equivalent of what MC2 was to 616. MC2 had the same history as 616 up to a specific point in the 90s, then it did it's own thing. 616 has occasionally borrowed elements from MC2 since then, and I don't just mean utlizing a version of Mayday for Spider-Verse.

Quote:
They do sell better? For some reason, I was under the impression that Spider-Girl's (and Ultimate Spider-Man's) success and long runs were exceptions, and that they usually didn't do as well as the main titles.
I was mainly pointing towards those very titles you mentioned since they were the long-runners and focused on elements that fans enjoyed. One was a feel good natural continuation of the original story where Peter reached the next step of his character evolution, and another was the realisation of the long-desired "eternal high schooler that Stan and Steve famously opted to drop in the original run of ASM 33 issues in, which Stan has often been on record as saying he regretted.

Quote:
Maybe. It will be interesting to see if RYV can hold its own when it's not the only game in town. If it hopefully sells well, I'd really like to hear what the OMD defenders have to say, given that good vs. poor sales is a favored argument of theirs.)
I expect a lot of spinning to be done in regards to sales, much like how the N52 fans try to spin the positive sales numbers for Rebirth as a string of diminishing returns. Some people tried arguing the original RYV series had the same sort of thing with each successive issue.

Quote:
Since Marvel has been so resistant to the idea of a married Spider-Man and jumped through so many hoops to be rid of it, wouldn't they be more likely to try and find a solution that fits within the single Spider-Man setting?
Money talks, and the times are changing. The success of the married Superman has turned heads. I like to think they really want their multiverse angle, prevalent since Spider-Verse, to be the solution to the problem. By tying in the likes of Spider-Gwen and Miles to the main universe, it's very obvious they'll ultimately see dollar signs in a big crossover between post-OMD Peter and RYV Peter, possibly for the 30th anniversary of the marriage, which is next year.

Quote:
I only learned about OMD after the fact, so I kind of missed out of the initial backlash. I still don't really understand the point of the reboot (but, to be fair, I was introduced to Spider-Man in the early 2000s through the movies, so, from my perspective, Peter and MJ being a couple -- married or otherwise -- is hardwired into the mythos and unmovable as the origin story itself and was/is one of the better elements of the franchise).
It simply has everything to do with the same old dogmatic dinosaurs that have been in charge for years getting into a stromp Peter grew up, and one hot-headed editor in Quesada deciding to do something about it in the worst way possible just so he could have HIS preferences for Spider-Man furthered. If he were no longer at the company, we probably would have seen a reversal long ago, or one of Slott's proposals to restore the marriage would have gone ahead. Quesada's letting his grip slip a bit by giving the marriage a big boost again, but he still has a tight leash on the main Spider-Man's status.

Quote:
I don't think Slott is the best writer for the franchise and tends to cyberbully people, but I do think that some fans cross the line when interacting with him and treat him in ways no one deserves. At worst, Slott's a mediocre Spider-Man writer in a dark era for the comic who's immature online.
Slott's mocked people with autism unprovoked, I think it's fair game with him in all honesty.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote