View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #15
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Let's see...

NES: Hothead
SNES: War, Wingnut(possibly the Archie incarnation), and Aska (original character)
Genny: Sisyphus (OC), Ray Fillet, April (as a fighter for the first time)
Mutant Melee: Sleeg, "Monster", Traximus (though most are probably acquainted with Triceratons in general)
Smash Up: Utrominator

Yep, it's a trend, indeed.

To elaborate a bit (though you are definitely on the right track):

Hothead had his own figure, of course, but it was quite a bit different. Most people only knew him from his toy, and even then, he wasn't exactly a household name.

War definitely counts, as the Adventures comics were not exactly well-known at the time (almost nobody I knew as a kid had read them). Same with Armaggon, and perhaps technically, Adventures Wingnut, though I had never thought of him like that. Aska being exclusive to this game definitely makes her obscure as hell, even though she's fondly remembered by those who have played the game. Honestly, I'd put Karai in this category, because at the time, I didn't know who she was, none of my friends did, and hell, you can go back and read some old FAQs/fansites that also had no idea.

Ray Fillet wasn't really as much of a wtf character as most because he was a popular figure, but this one is essentially Man Ray so I'll give you that. Sisyphus, like Aska, is a random, out-there exclusive character. Blaze cosplay April is definitely weird as hell but since she's an essential character that everyone knows, it's not as much as the others. Again, I'd put Karai here for being relatively unknown for this time period.

Traximus does indeed possibly count as does Mozar, but they were both quite prominent in the series as well as had their own semi-popular action figures. Sleeg was such a random choice that I completely forgot who he was until I saw the episode he debuted in a second time. Monster takes the cake for being probably the most obscure character in a popular fighting game, ever. Gold Shredder might count since he never showed up with that armor in anything else.

Utroms themselves are basically unknown to anybody who didn't watch 2K3 or read the Mirage comics, but even most hardcore fans of the 4Kids cartoon didn't have any idea what an Utrominator was, since it only showed up in the background of exposition scenes in one (albeit popular) episode.