View Single Post
Old 09-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #58
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
I haven't listened to that podcast, but I was aware about Kubert's daughter being the inspiration for Annie. I don't think it's a coincidence that Annie resembles the child Mephisto conjured up in OMD and then they use that as the basis for an out-of-continuity version. Given how Marvel openly admit they like to profit off their customers by intentionally triggering them, Marvel gave Annie that look specifically because it reminds people of what Peter and MJ sacrificed in OMD.
I actually assumed that Annie was designed to look like more like her mom, the way that Mayday takes after her dad, so I was actually surprised that they were trying to evoke the OMD kid.

Quote:
D'oh, shows I'm still learning when it comes to a franchise I've followed for almost all of my existing life, I didn't know that.
I was surprised, too.

Quote:
That's what sort of happened in 1998 just before the relaunch. Tom DeFalco's last issue of ASM prior to that dealt with a future where a group of archeologists were trying to work out what happened to Spider-Man. Various characters are brought up like Spidey 2099 and Mayday Parker, and they even debate which historians were right about his relationship with MJ, some saying she was killed, some say they divorced, and some said they lived happily together for the rest of their days. I read somewhere Marvel later claimed this story was out-of-continuity also. In this future, MJ becomes very important to the superhero community, and described as the "first lady".
Well, like a famous Vulcan once said, there are always possibilities, so maybe somewhere down the line, things will get back to normal again.

Quote:
Flashbacks in Mike Costa's Scarlet Spiders mini-series revealed that, yes, all stories would have happened if Peter and MJ had remained married, including Superior. However, in the book, the flashbacks are all to do with a reality where Ben Reily had lived and continued to be Spider-Man where as Peter never regained his powers. Costa said Peter and MJ remained in Portland raising their children, where as Ben was actually able to defeat Doc Ock pretty soundly in his version of Superior and resist his attempts to take over his body.
Interesting. (Although, given parallel realities, I would believe that some things would change, depending on the differences that separated the timelines in question).

Quote:
I was simply referring to things like the letter and the fact MJ has spider-powers.
I'm blanking on which letter you're referring to. I guess I had assumed that MJ got superpowers between the original RYV series and the new one, but I will concede that until we know for sure how that happened, anything's possible.

Quote:
Speaking of that, the latest bit of promotion for the book came with the cancellation notification e-mail from Marvel yesterday, here's what it read:

Conway's Carnage is now officially axed, so his readers really ought to be directed over to RYV instead of Mike Costa's Venom, which seems to be the case per the notification.
Wonder if Carnage was always going to end when Conway took over RYV, or if other factors were involved.

Quote:
A user on scans_daily last year confirmed Slott had told him at conventions he had actually pitched several ideas for Peter and MJ to be married again in the main books, but was constantly turned down, and only got special permission for this because of the reality-warping nature of Secret Wars.
Is there a link for those? I'd be curious to read for myself. I also sometimes travel around in many pro-pre-OMD Spider-Man fan circles who are convinced that Slott is strongly against the Peter/MJ marriage (and to be fair, I do think that his writing does make it seem like he is against the idea). I'd be really interested to see what the reaction is to those statements from those circles.

Quote:
Slott also said on CBR that Marvel were very aware a pro-marriage Spider-Man book would sell, so they were not surprised at all.
Wonder why they don't want in the main books, then, if it tends to sell well?

Quote:
Marvel's Tom Brevoort compared it to "bad medicine that you have to take". They're not proud of OMD, but they still feel it was good for the overall book
I strongly disagree with Brevoort's position, but opinions are subjective.

Quote:
Well, as I had said earlier, if he didn't want it to tie into RYV, he wouldn't have left in that bizzare deja vu easter egg in ASM this year.
Assuming that there is a point, what could Slott be wanting to do with it?
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote