View Single Post
Old 01-28-2022, 08:19 AM   #848
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
I don't think it's fair to say that New Adventures of He-Man killed the brand off in the 80s. Masters of the Universe was pretty much dead by the time the show launched anyway. Even something genuinely good that felt more like He-Man would likely have failed. Although I have to say I do like New Adventures.

It's like saying that Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation killed TMNT when it just failed to revive something that mostly already dead. It didn't stop it from having a successful revival a few years later with the 4kids show. We know from people who worked on MOTU's equivalent (Mike Young Productions show) that kids they tested back then struggled with barbarians. I suspect that's still the case since the new show seems to emphasise the armor and tech and play down the loin cloths. I don't follow these things closely enough to know if it's successful but one day I suspect barbarians will become big in pop culture again and whoever owns the brand better be quick off the mark.
I love the poignancy of this post recognizing the directionality of things. I agree completely.

As for the MOTU merchandising, I see a lot of Revelations inventory sitting on shelves. Origins seems like it's still selling though, although I guess there is some concern about the upcoming wave with Anti-Eternia He-Man and Sun-Man. I guess websites pulled the pre-order listings from their sites or something like that.

I haven't done anything yet with my Origins figures, but I'm piling up a nice collection and I want the line to continue. Those things are just mindless fun.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote