View Single Post
Old 04-30-2021, 10:03 PM   #79
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Seriously? THAT'S what you got out of my post?! Wow. Way to make it into EXACTLY what I was talking about. These things have ALWAYS been part of the Marvel mythos, from Captain America punching Hitler to Kamala as Ms Marvel in the age of anti-Muslim extremists. Why do you suppose it is that these stories recur so often in the MU, if not because THEY ARE RELEVANT? News flash- it is and always HAS BEEN relevant, not just to one time or era, but EVERY FRICKIN era that Marvel has had heroes to fight hatred and evil! It hasn't gone away. Probably never will. Doesn't mean they shouldn't write about it, and especially in the climate of the past decade, I'd say it's more relevant than usual.

What YOU fail to realize, is that no one is "falling" for a simple plot, it is quite literally a sign of our times that such a plot is used at all. If you look at other big stories about racism or extremism in comics, it has almost always occurred during major real world events that are polarizing on the subject, with the X-Men being introduced during one of the most turbulent times, and the same goes for more recent Marvel comics. Again, Kamala and Miles have been two of the biggest recent additions, for that very reason!

To think it's all just hype and manipulation is so very- DISINGENUOUS of you (since I KNOW how much you LOVE to throw that word around) and also very cynical and blind to the reality of the Marvel world so closely paralleling our own. But I never expected you to see that- it's a point that just seems to continuously elude you. I mean, didn't you ever wonder WHY that stuff keeps popping up when Galactus could decide at any time to chow down on Earth? It's because even in the M(C)U, people are often so full of hate and cruelty to one another that they don't even need the excuse of mutants having crazy terrifying powers. They will blow each other up over oil or religion just like we do in the real world. So yeah, racism IS a thing there, and always HAS been, even when not actively being written about. They had their Civil Rights movement too, after all....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote