D Piddy 1982
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
It was great!

-Introduces (The) Krang & a proper Casey Jones
-Surprisingly violent, blood & all, character deaths, body horror
-Leonardo & Casey have a close relationship, which we've never seen before
-Retains its sense of humor while upping the stakes & taking on a notably more serious tone
-Animation is gorgeous as ever, better, even, given the higher budget
-Leonardo finally comes into his own & becomes the leader we know him to be otherwise
-Potential Image run (Vol.3) easter eggs in the form of Casey having a chainsaw & Leonardo losing an arm
-Glimpse of the future timeline is as grim & dystopian as in 4kids, Mirage, etc
-Feels like it properly closes this chapter in TMNT history

If I have any criticism it would only be that the plot is one we've seen before, quite recently, even. The 2012 show already did the whole Krang invasion/terraforming/mutating thing, more than once. There have been shades of it in IDW, too. I'd rather they have done something more original, and/or expand on the origin of The Krang, to make them feel more distinct. Set up how they established the Yokai city, etc. But that's fine, no biggie, I assume Andy & the gang wanted to put their own spin on a story from turtles past that they like, considering many of the staff did work on the past show as well.

Bit of a bittersweet experience overall, knowing this will likely be the end, but it's a good & fitting one. Just would've hit a little harder if it had come after a few more seasons of show, to allow for the growth & development that they sort of had to force into the finale & film to come about organically.
Good analysis.

I'm more than happy we got the movie to sign the show off, BUT I have to say I think I actually prefer the short one shot episodes more. The movie took a slightly different direction and tone. Not sure if this was due to the overly negative feedback on the show, or if it was the plan all along to go down that route. But yeah, great movie but the series was fantastic (for me...). Agree on the Yokai thing as well, that was a cool spin/idea on the franchise.

Always makes me laugh when people get mad at the show for not following the exact TMNT methods and principles. "Leo wasn't the leader...he MUST be the leader" for example. Pretty autistic thinking. It was proven that everything that happened or put in place was there for a reason and were seeds to allow greater things to grow.

Others also moaning about the individual episodes not being part of a larger arc.

I grew up in an era where kids TV shows were mostly one shot episodes. As the only time you got to watch anything was after school or on a Saturday morning. If you missed an episode there was no way of "catching up". This whole "every episode in the series MUST follow an arc" BS is garnered from 2000's shows onwards.

I'm happy with individual, fun episodes. That's just me.

Anyway, I'm not here to provoke (honestly!) - the Rise fans got what they wanted - a fitting send off. And the non-fans got what they wanted - an end to the insanity. A (kinda) win-win for all. I guess it's now back to the forumulaic TMNT vibe from now on after this little "experiment".

" 'Hero Turtle' craze leads to duck deaths" BBC News 2001
D Piddy 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote