View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 12:56 AM   #4
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It's become a bit of a cliche to call out cliches for me.

Especially where Disney is concerned. And I've realized that a lot of the time, even when there's "Love At First Sight™", they don't really get married right away. We don't know how much time there was between Cinderella marrying her Prince. Or Ariel and Eric getting married. Heck, Cinderella was happy just to have a One Dance Stand with a dude that she found handsome and nice and was good to leave it at that, and was dumbfounded when she learned she was dancing with the Prince.

Though, I can understand Aurora and Phillip getting married pretty quickly since they were already betrothed from the time that they were very tiny.

So, I call bull on the "you can't marry someone you just met, Anna!" situation in Frozen because except for some very few exceptions, it doesn't seem that was something that happened in most Disney films.

However, I do love the "If you start singing, I'm going to throw up" line in Moana . A Call Out Cliche cliche that I like.

I've expressed in earlier that I really don't like the "goody-goody peaceful species" that comes up in science fiction and fantasy a lot. Specifically, the Neutrinos and Mirage/4Kids Utroms, suffering from the same problem of "non-violence unless in extreme danger". Which was why the Illuminated and South American waste dumping were such a huge relief, and why I am eagerly anticipating King Zenter's great "oh god, what have I done?".

I think having a "peaceful" race could work to some extent. It works pretty darn well with Hobbits now that I think of it, since they're basically clueless to the world outside of the Shire and thus end up cut off from a violent world, where the most bloodshed they'd see would either be from a horrible farming accident or a birth ending badly. Or butchering meat. A bit like how Dodos or penguins were/are so cut off from large land predators that they didn't recognize the danger in the things that would kill them, and wipe them out in the former example.
However, when they're actively being [Nixon Voice]Bleeding Heart Hippies[/Nixon Voice], it gets a little grating. Come on guys, get the skeletons out of the closet and shed your Dark Violent Secrets. You know they're there.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 10-18-2017 at 01:36 AM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote