View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 02:56 AM   #49
Prowler
Emperor

I've been told that James nowadays has a small team working for him and writing scripts and editing his videos, or helping him out with them. Otherwise he'd take more time to make those episodes and it'd eat up most of his time. Some fans dislike this because they think the AVGN episodes no longer have that "authentic feel", but tbh, I have not noticed any significant change and I'd never have guessed that he no longer does everything by himself with the occasional help from Mike and Kyle Justin.

Some fans also think he's not angry enough anymore and acts more like James all the time than like the Nerd. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. He's almost 40 by now, and no longer 25 when he first gained notoriety. Plus he's married and has two kids now whom I assume he loves. Why would he need to force anger in his videos anymore? If he's still doing this stuff when he's 55 years old it'd be embarrassing to watch an angry old man yelling at his TV constantly. Also, he's been doing this for over a decade by now. Let the guy have some fun, especially considering how much work is required to put into the AVGN stuff.

James true passion is film making. You see, some people forget this, but back in 2006 his YT channel only had AVGN stuff and 2 or 3 other videos. In the last 5 years or so he's been working on other projects. He had the Board James series, the Nerd movie, and other stuff on his channel, mostly him and Mike playing games on Mondays with occasional guests like Pat and Spoony. That's why we had periods with barely any AVGN stuff. It's by far his most successful thing, but he wanted to branch out. He really enjoys making movies, particularly horror ones.

I think James realised he's not gonna make it as a huge director or producer, and tbh the Nerd movie kinda sucked and is my least favourite Nerd thing ever. Some say he secretly is burnt out of being AVGN and such, but that's what makes him the most money. It's both a blessing and a curse. If it wasn't for AVGN no one would know who he is, but it also has typecast him. We all see him as AVGN, pretty much.

I honestly think the AVGN series has surprisingly remained consistently good throughout the years. There's very few AVGN episodes I'd go as far as call "bad". And even those aren't terrible. They area, imo:

Mr. Chu and the Drunkhard Hu
Independence Day
ToxicCrusaders
Lightspan Adventures

So 4 weak episodes out of like 160? Not a bad track record! James always listened to the fans and varied his episodes and the intro a bit as well. That's also a big reason why he has a very loyal core fanbase. He treats his fans well.

I don't think he owes us anything, tbh. He busts his ass making these videos and we can watch them FOR FREE. So really, what reason do I have to complain? Even if I don't usually laugh out loud at his videos I ALWAYS enjoy them.

I think the best episodes are ones based on NES games because those have the "pure AVGN formula". It's a bit odd for me to see him reviewing PS1, PS2 and Xbox games very occasionally; but that might be due to me not realising at times how much time has passed since those games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I always check out his latest AVGN stuff. Still entertaining to me.

I don't really look at the other Cinemassacre stuff too often. I wanna punch Mike Matei so hard. You have no idea at all.
Oh I definitely get notified on my phone when he posts new content, but most of the time it's James and mike Mondays stuff and I also get notifications from a few other YT channels, so I guess Nerd episodes' notifications sometimes get lost in the shuffle and I overlook them.

As for what you said elsewhere, yes his kids are probably now a bit older. His first one was born quite a while ago already. Like in 2008 or so, I'm guessing? And his youngest one was also born some years ago already, I think? Both are probably old enough to go to school by now. Meaning they're no longer babies and aren't inside almost 24/7 anymore.

As for what you said about Board James, didn't that series end some years ago with the phone episode where the phone tells James to kill Mike and Bubsy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
Literally everyone I know who’s a fan says this exact same thing. Myself included.
Mike is quite cringey and so are his jokes. Honestly, I feel like a lot of James' dirty humour is Mike's influence. I could be wrong, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I bet James gets tons of requests, like, "Please do an episode where Mike gets the sh*t beat out of him repeatedly."

He's just really unlikable in that Ryan Seacrest, "You haven't done anything wrong to me, specifically, I just really want to smash your face in" kinda way. Y'know? Of course, on certain episodes he really is a smug and annoying prick, but he's just kinda punchable in general.
Well, Mike is usually the bad guy when he appears in an episode for a reason . Unlike Kyle Justin or other occasional guests who are usually Jame's friends or work together with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
I feel that way about Doug Walker. James did a couple of videos with him and Brad Jones recently, and just the way he looked standing there with his Baby Huey posture and uncomfortable grin, made me want to squeeze my drinking glass until it exploded in my hand.
Doug Walker is Nostalgia Critic, right?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote