View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 06:16 PM   #13
IMJ
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Nah, that only makes it even screwier.

It's literally "We try and kill innocent people all the time. But this One Time, we have to act all upset, logic be damned... because essentially, someone else got to kill all these people before we got around to it. They did committed an act of terrorism while wearing People Clothes and not fancy capes and spandex, therefore they're SUPER Evil and we're just like, Comic Book Evil."

It's nonsense. Why should Magneto or Doom get all weepy about This random group of dead people when they've killed lots of other people under similar circumstances?

I get that "logic" and "comic books" aren't good pals anyway. But no amount of "context" does anything to address how nonsensical the events of that book were. Manufactured Shmaltz and Emotional Manipulation that completely falls apart upon more than a minute's worth of thought.

At the very least, I'm pretty sure that Marvel donated the money they made off of it, so that's nice.
Exactly. And that was the point I was making. It's like there are three levels to this -

-People who can't wrap their head around these events in comics because they just aren't malleable thinkers
-People who try to justify it by shoehorning it in to a continuity, and are sort of compelled to do so. Again, non-malleable thinkers.
-People who can bend with the art and just understand the acknowledgment even when some things are referenced in continuity again or never.

Only one of those groups is walking around operating with a real grasp of the situation. There is no rigidity involved. You simply have to properly judge and assimilate in the brain that a given event is a continuity update (i.e. Iron Man was injured in the Vietnam War, then the Korean War, then in Afghanistan, etc) or when a given event is a relevancy commentary (Water Gate in comics from the late 70's) or a relevancy commentary that is reflected casually in the books (9-11).

I mean, I'm even overcomplicating it by applying that language above. The simple truth is that the majority of readers just understand these things.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote