View Single Post
Old 12-14-2014, 11:44 PM   #44
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm not sure but was Wrecking Crew or the Mario Bros. Arcade game set in the real world? I'm not sure if this was something the cartoon created and then just got taken as facts when people who were kids got older and it stuck with them...sort of like how everyone still thinks the Koopalings are Bowsers kids.
Both NES manuals for Wrecking Crew and Mario Bros don’t have a story printed. The Koopalings being Bowser’s children was not a creation of the cartoons or Nintendo of America. They were mentioned as being Browser’s children in the Super Mario Bros 3 Japanese manual. So Bowser Jr. being his only child is indeed a retcon. Not even a simple story like Super Mario can go without a retcon.

I getting super nerdy here, but the only bits of the American story I can think of that are still “canon” are Mario’s love of Italian food, Luigi’s cowardice, the names of the Koopalings, (In the Japanese manual they were unnamed. This is why the Dic cartoon gave them different names. During production of the cartoon they had no official names so they made them up.) and “possibly” Mario and Luigi’s last name being Mario.