View Single Post
Old 04-30-2021, 06:59 PM   #483
Leo656
The Franchise

Picked up the latest CD by The Offspring, "Let The Bad Times Roll", and have been blasting it in the car all week.

While it doesn't quite feel like a record that should have taken almost ten years to put out, it's still very satisfying. A few songs sound like stuff that could have been on their first two records, easily. "This Is Not Utopia" is one of their all-time best album-openers and probably the best song on the record, period. The mid-point guitar cover of "In The Hall of the Mountain King" is pretty fun, one of their better "Intermission"-style tracks that they like to put halfway through their records. And it's nice to finally have a studio-recorded version of the newer piano ballad arrangement of "Gone Away" that they've been performing at live shows for about ten years now. It's hard to believe that "Coming For You" came out in 2015, already. Yeesh.

If there's a downside to it, it's that like their "Splinter" album, everything on it is quite good but the record itself is rather short, clocking in at just over 33 minutes. On the upside, there's no real "filler" (although "We Never Have Sex Anymore" doesn't feel especially necessary, although the experimentation with a horn section is a fun deviation from their normal sound). On the other hand, it took them ten years to put out a record that's a half hour long, and that just always feels weird. Doesn't especially bother me but I know it bothers some people.

On the whole, it probably won't crack anyone's Top Three Offspring Records or anything, but every record they've ever put out has had at least two or three songs on it that have become all-time personal favorites of mine and this one is no different. Like the band itself, it's "Nothing Fancy, Just Consistently Good." Given the overall sh*tty state of music right now, that's perfectly fine.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote