View Single Post
Old 05-16-2021, 03:47 PM   #89
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I've had Simon's Quest for a while, but never played it. I think I'm gonna get the "Redacted" version and play that instead.
Original is perfectly fine, I might say. Well, there is a couple of moments, which can be confusing, but otherwise it is not THAT bad.

If you need any advice you can hit me in PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Oddly, I never got around to playing Symphony of the Night, either, but I promise I will. I'm way behind but I look forward to getting caught up.
It is not a bad game, just very very braindead easy. Nothing like any earlier Castlevanias.

There are three versions of it: on PlayStation 1, on Sega Saturn and PlayStation Portable. AFAIK, most available version is from PS1.

Sega Saturn version has additional areas and additional playable character, also it makes second half of the game a bit more palatable. But it is harder to emulate and has no English version.

PSP version has additional character and a new dub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Lament of Innocence I think was the single most underrated Castlevania game ever made. It was basically all of the best of all of the Castlevania's at that time - like a "super Symphony of the Night" in many ways.

Symphony of the Night
Lament of Innocence
Lords of Shadow prt 1

Absolute masterpieces. If I ever get some gaming legs back on and feel like I can be absorbed by that crap again in life, I'd be down for replaying all three of those and the Parasite Eve games. Bang. Awesome.
Ironically, I am not fan of either.
LOI is very mediocre game, IMO, and Symphony is not my cup of tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I seem to remember CV64 and LOD were not really the same game. LOD was like a prequel, reusing a lot of the same assets.
It is both: main story featuring Cornell is a prequel and after you complete it, you unlock stories for Reinhardt and Carrie from CV64. Storywise they are identical to the CV64, but they use updated version of levels from LOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I'm not triggered, just never heard of that term and sounds like steroids, metroidvania is already a stupid term but whatever people it.
Completely agree, which is why I prefer term "Metroidlike".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
They were definitely not non-canon when they came out, only when Iga decided he didn't like them, but he's gone so who cares the timeline is a mess and those games have cool stories better than many "canon" ones.
It is hard to say now: CV64 originally WAS supposed to be part of the timeline, but after all development troubles it is hard to say where it goes, especially, since it doesn't feature Belmonts.

Circle was always intended to be a spin-off.

Last edited by Sumac; 05-16-2021 at 03:53 PM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote