View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 03:58 PM   #16
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy1936 View Post
I still don't follow the over-sized roto heads. I understand the material and how roto-casting works but what is the purpose of making the heads appear to be slightly larger than vintage? Why not make their heads the same size as the original soft head release? These slightly larger heads almost seem like a failed attempt at making new soft-head releases. Like Playmates tried to match the original release but the heads somehow came out a bit too large? Kind of like the failed Mattel attempt with the commemorative MOTU figures in 2000 where the heads were soft but less detailed/deformed/wrong size. I could see the appeal if they were an exact match size wise to vintage soft heads. It's like these heads are too big but only slightly. None of the sdcc 2020 set reviewer videos I've seen comment on the heads being larger than vintage. But you can see it in the videos. Especially on Mike and Don.
Playmates lost some money after the Rise of the TMNT, Ben 10, and Power Players toylines bombed. The oversized rotocast heads are cheaper to make. I miss the 2013 to 2016 Classic Collection Retro figures and GameStop exclusive Classic 1988 Action Figure 4 Pack from 2019 already. I hope the Movie Star Collection box set does not have figures with oversized roto heads in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
Thank you. I can definitely see the bigger heads now. They look wrong, not sure to understand what Playmates is aiming at.
You’re more than welcome, frank_one. I’m with you, the roto heads are off (especially Leonardo). The rubber heads are too big. All six figures look like bootlegs of the originals.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-14-2021 at 04:10 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote