View Single Post
Old 06-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #48
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
More realistically, I think it has more to do with how minimally the Fred Wolf cartoon referenced the origin. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Tang Shen ever features... it's just Saki and Yoshi. One brief little "Saki had no honor and tried to take over the Foot by framing Yoshi, who got kicked out... and well here we are!"

But even then, Bay couldn't be bothered. Because it's too complicated.
As much as the people who made the first movie mentioned comics and Eastman, their main influence was the old cartoon. The origin wasn't a big deal in that show (And it was also a huge simplification of the comic origin). The Splinter/Shredder rivalry was small potatoes. Shredder wanted to destroy the turtles because the turtles kept messing up his plans. The OT turtles also kicked in doors and fought like overpowered brutes, instead of like ninjas. That's what Leibesman grew up with.

If I made Batman movies, they'd be more like the 60's show than anything else. I've liked Batman my whole life, but I've never read The Dark Knight Returns or Knightfall, or really any comics you might hope would influence my films. Whether it's my responsibility to incorporate that stuff or if I have every right to make Batman '66-inspired films is up to debate. I'm just saying that's what I think happened with TMNT. And if you look at the movie as something influenced almost solely by that cartoon, it makes a lot more sense that it came out how it did.