View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #14
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Me personally, I lived most of my life in Pakistan, a third world country before moving overseas 8 years ago into a more developed nation so I have experienced both sides of the world, and they're very different.

Although technology is rampant even in the Third World, with the wealthy there buying the latest iphones and what not, there is still poverty there on a scale that is simply unimaginable to people in the developed world, with street children and slums numbering in the millions. It is a stark contrast to the few wealthy people owning mansions stretching hundreds of acres. It truly is a dog-eat-dog world where is there is no guarantee of even the most basic needs of survival.

Violence and corruption is also a problem, with riots of some sort happening daily and almost being the sole focus in the country's news. Lack of government enforcement, leads to gang wars and petty crimes in the streets, leading many to hide in their homes more often than not in fear of being robbed or even killed. My own grandmother,who is now moved overseas to live with me and the rest of the family, was once held on gunpoint and robbed mere weeks before travelling, losing all of her jewelry but luckily escaping with her life.

That being said, not everything is bad. Firstly, there is a sense of being close to Family Unit due to the different culture. The Families are extremely large and extended, with a strong sense of unity as blood, faith and collectivism all keep even distant cousins close in touch, and even living among each other in many cases in an almost sort of tribal way.

There is also a sense of happiness that comes with having experienced extreme hardship. Not happiness in the sense of addictive euphoria or pleasurable excitement, but rather a peace of mind and lack of boredom which is often lost when someone indulges themselves in comfort. I guess its really true that poverty may be painful and hard, but poor people tend to view their lives as more meaningful and ideologically significant.

https://www.newyorker.com/business/c...aningful-lives

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 11-27-2017 at 01:35 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote