View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 02:44 AM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
TMNT was just a childhood memory for me at the time. Videotapes, comics and some action figures.
I should clarify that, while I did first get into the FW series around 1996-1998 or so(cant' recall), I then suddenly stopped watching it one day until I did it again around 2002-2003 when I found reruns on TV again here. So now that I think about it... the TMNT "dead period" also coincided with the time TMNT wasn't really that much on my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
As a kid time moved slower. Funnily enough TMNT was only "dead" for about 5 years, even less if you count Next Mutation.

But as a kid 5 years feels like an eternity. That's why when the 2k3 series started it felt like TMNT had been gone for so long...but it really wasn't.
Actually... it might as well have been gone for about 8-9 years, since Turtlemania was already on a fast decline around 1993. Many people didn't even know of Red Sky until many years later and TNM was the final nail on the coffin for TNMT. The 3rd live action movie from 1993 also most likely contributed to the popularity waning since it was clearly inferior to the first two movies.

So basically, even if the Turtles had only not been on TV for about 5 years, it makes sense their absence felt way longer than that since the last big screen appearance had been in 1993 and their tv and pop culture relevance died around that time as well.

FWIW my brother is from the generation that grew up with the FW series. He told me that the Turtles were HUGE in 1990-1991(the cartoon debuted here in 1990 after the movie only) and by the time 1992-1993 rolled in pretty much nobody cared about them anymore.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote