View Single Post
Old 07-15-2023, 03:15 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

From the other thread:

Oof, it's hard to say. I mean, we know what a CGI animated TMNT movie did 16 years ago, 14 years after a reasonably respected TMNT trilogy had been released. It did 50 million stateside and another 50 internationally. What a new CGI animated TMNT movie will do only 7 years after a fairly universally reviled pair of TMNT movies came out... I dunno. I have to believe it'll do at least a bit better than TMNT 2007 (if for no other reason than Nick will market it a lot better), but I guess we're gambling on the humor push, kid voices, "look" and an overweight black April connecting more with people? Plastering Rogen's name on it (which by his latest movies, is NO guarantee of financial success)? Like, what even is the hook with people/kids who don't know or care about the TMNT? "Look, kids! Weirdness!"? idk...

If I had to speculate, I'd guess maybe only slightly better than Shazam 2 numbers, and that's being very kind. Maybe 70, 75 domestic, and another 50-70 internationally, with a total haul of 170 million at the most. Internationally they just don't seem to care much about TMNT, and CGI animated TMNT even less. And with overweight black April, you can forget about significant Chinese dollars, if any. And damn, Mutant Mayhem's production budget is 200 million!* Even higher than Into the Shadows. Figure another 100 million for marketing after kickbacks... yeesh! We'll see, but it's hard not to predict Nick taking it on the chin with this one.

*This might be fake. As others have stated, yeah, it's probably more in the 120 range. Though they might have been packing the marketing budget into it with the 200 number, which appears to be substantial (the marketing).
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote