View Single Post
Old 05-26-2023, 11:29 AM   #41
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I don't think that the catchphrase "M-SHE-U" is entirely about "volume of product" as much as it is about rage-bait-messaging, replacing male characters, and cramming dramatic-feminism down people's throats in the content they did produce.

We had the Avengers: Endgame scene with the clown car of awkwardly grouped all-girl-superheroes running into the battle like they were Titans from Attack On Titan, which was forced and awful...
So the idea that Marvel Studios is sabotaging their male characters largely comes down to them making (what you feel) are bad movies with female protagonists? If anything that sounds more like they are sabotaging their female characters.

Beyond that I don't really get your arguments. The whole Jane Foster Thor saga was one of the best selling books Marvel Comics had during that era. Outselling the Thor run starring Odinson that immediately preceded it which at the time was hyped as a rare sales success for the character. It was a no brainer decision to adapt that story into film. Regardless of the quality of the final product the movie was a lot kinder to it's male protagonist than the comic version. Odinson is still the main character, he isn't replaced by Jane or rendered unworthy.

As for Wakanda Forever...you do realise Chadwick Boseman died. Unless you're suggesting that Disney secretly had him killed to promote Letitia Wright to the lead role I don't see how he was sabotaged. Also how many times has T'challa stood down or been deposed in the comics and Shuri takes over as Black Panther? It just makes sense to have her step into the lead role.

I don't know if you've read classic Ms Marvel comics but she was created to be a feminist superhero. If anything modern depictions of Carol Danvers (including the movie version) portray her as much less militant in her feminism. I don't understand who she was supposed to be sabotaging simply by starring in a movie. As something of an aside the movie made over a billion dollars and the comics actually got an uptick in sales after the movie so clearly some people liked it. Brie Larsen also still gets work in Hollywood outside of the MCU so she can't be that unpopular either.

We don't know how The Marvels is going to do but it's response from regular people has been mostly positive. Of course it's got the usual angry right wing youtubers up in arms about the movie and how this will be the one to finally kill off Marvel but I notice a few prominent ones are laying off the movie and saying things like "don't hate me but this one doesn't look so woke to me". I imagine they are hedging their bets after ranting for months about how woke the Super Mario Bros movie was and predicting it would flop only to have to hurriedly change tactics and portray it as anti-woke after the it broke records and couldn't spin it as a failure.

I also don't know if you read modern Eternal comics but like a lot of Marvel's god-like pantheon they are in a constant cycle of death and rebirth and with the Eternals they come back different each time. Makkari has been a woman for some time. Even if the character being gender swapped was purely a movie thing I don't see how that sabotaged any of the male characters. I don't recall her being portrayed as better than the male Eternals.

Similarly I don't see how that sequence were the female heroes team up sabotages the male heroes. I'll never get why this was such a big deal, the whole thing was less 20 seconds. You'd think it was them that defeated Thanos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
Truth.

Anybody that thinks Disney is doing good just isn't paying attention. Disney is so far in the red it's not even funny and they have no one to blame but themselves for their idiotic decision to wage war against the fans/customers.
Anyone who thinks Disney is in the red is not only not paying attention but living in bizarro world. The last time this came up I posted a bunch of links which showed that Disney's profits are up these past two years. I'd bust them out again if I felt people on this board weren't so far down the rabbit hole that they could accept simple facts.

It's incredibly stupid that idiots have been convinced that the CEOs of one of the biggest corporations in the world are not only secret communists and are also deliberately killing their company with woke products to accomplish...well no one can tell me what they think the end goal of this dastardly plan is.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote