View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 05:56 PM   #3393
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
I don't understand the logic here. The original Playmates toyline is the farthest thing from the FW designs. Heck, Napolean Bona Frog was transformed into a horned toad. I can't understand how one would be so lenient towards the Playmates toyline and be so hypercritical of the far more toon-accurate NECA figures. This type of compartmentalized thinking really hurts my head. I understand that some folks simply appreciate the Playmates toy designs, for whatever reason, and the Super 7 line would be aligned with their tastes. Unfortunately, there's very little correlation between the Playmates toys and the actual toon. However, having said, this, Playmates have done a much better job on the toys that were based on the 2003 series.
Most (if not all) action figures and dolls from the 80s and 90s did not match their 30 minute toy advertisement counterparts. I’m one of the people that liked the original toyline for what it was, an action figure line designed by comic book artists. I understand the disappointment that children of the 80s and 90s had when they saw the toys, but I do not feel that the NECA Target 2-Pack line makes up for the lack of figures based on the miniseries, syndicated series, and both versions of the CBS Saturday morning cartoon. You said that the first wave turtles were not cartoon-accurate and Shredder had six blades on his shoulder pads in place of 4 blades.

I agree that the Disguise 4-Pack figures are little more of an improvement, but I do not like the black lines on these. My favorite NECA TMNT figures are from the movie series.

Most of all, I am over-critical of these because I am not a fan of 21st century action figures. The original four basic turtles are classic toys because they spark our imaginations and help people to recall when there were no other TMNT action figures in stores. The 2010s will not be remembered for the introduction of the Target 2-Pack, Arcade Game, and Movie figures by anyone other than adult toy collectors. That is where I am getting at. The original Playmates toyline is important to pop culture history, especially the early 90s.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-23-2021 at 06:19 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote