View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 09:41 AM   #210
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
If worst comes to worst, I don't mind Teela being the focus at all. I think people have been interpreting the leaks the wrong way and are judging it just on the end result and not on the hows and whys of anything that leads up to it. All they've made are assumptions.

Just because a female is the lead doesn't mean something is 'woke', nor does it mean 'woke' can't ever be done right. I grew up in the 90s, where 'wokeness' was very much in vouge then too

I'll eat a s*itload of crow feet if I'm wrong, so apologies in advance for the He-Man.org-esque naïve shilling, but the show isn't necessarily broken with the sidelining of He-Man or Teela having a journey.
I don't think the pre-show judgements are widely related to having a female lead. Like you've said here, we've had that forever and it's fine. But it's not such a leap to jump to "woke agenda" given the social-timing of this show when you are presented with an overtly masculine Teela design and a transvestite-looking Evil-Lyn. Combine that with sidelining the "blond white guy" for a female lead and you've got the recipe revealed before the dinner. What's more is that if this show is in continuity to the original, then there shouldn't be any of these "identity politics through art direction" because those two characters were always feminine with softer lines. Someone here might argue "art updates!", but only a mouth-breather who can't understand the difference between 'art style' and 'arty direction' would argue this rather than discussing it on it's own merits.

And so either way it's an awkward change to an existing continuity but when you combine it with the current Hollywoke trends, it's really seems like a signal. We live in clown world man. There are people even on these forums that would ignore the content of my post and simply see that I used the word "transvestite" and start flinging hater labels. That's how far gone we are.

So the solution is simple. If you don't care about any of this, then click on Netflix and power watch it. If you don't mind the "inclusion" but it's left you feeling that the "traditional" has been minimized or that your fandom has been appropriated or invaded with animosity towards you, then don't give Netflix the dollar generating clicks. And lastly if you are on the fence, then resist your childish addictions for your toys and cartoons until the word is out on what the show is about and decide whether or not to give the dollar-generating Netflix hits at that time.

Personally, I'm on the fence. There's nothing wrong with including all groups into society's pop culture. But I'm tired of the vitriol that comes with the push as well as the virtue signaling. But I'm mostly disgusted that these people have to take from, minimize or vilify anything traditional to do this, which tells me that these people are $#!(bags and that "hate" is alive and well but now just being hidden by a false virtue of support for any given demographic. So I'm on the fence.

Last edited by IMJ; 06-11-2021 at 09:53 AM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote