View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 10:47 PM   #9
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
There's some truth to this but commercially even the lesser selling events like Civil War II still ended up selling. I can't see the cycle of events and relaunches ending until it stops making them money, also bare in mind that the last time Marvel eased off events and went with a more classic roster of heroes they were unhappy with the results.
It's hard to tell how well they've really been doing, because the whispers going around suggest Marvel's been inflating their sales recently through over-shipping. Regardless, they've been struggling and it's no lie to say the events are not selling what they used to. Same for relaunches. Use a trick too many times and everyone stops caring. Sure, the event itself might do fine, but if the rest of the line is collapsing around it, it doesn't mean much. It's still just one book.

Anyway, eventually there's a point where the bottom falls out and it feels like they hit it. I think they know it, too. They've said they're putting a moratorium on events for at least a year and a half. We'll see if they stick to it.

Quote:
Not to mention fans have been hyping up DC's Rebirth (a line wide relaunch with mini and major events) and pestering Marvel to follow their lead which suggests to me that traditional fans aren't necessarily against all this if it panders to them hard.
I cut DC some slack, because they've been good about events and such for a long time. They're often super contained, usually have their own minis and one shots and aren't intrusive. Plus they're not as often. Dark Knights: Metal is the first event since Convergence, so a solid two years between them (any Rebirth things have been small crossovers between a couple titles and Justice League vs Suicide Squad, which was really more of a miniseries than anything resembling an event). I feel like DC saw the writing on the wall years ago and pulled back. They seem to stick to a two year cycle, which isn't bad, I think, and gives the line room to breathe in between, especially these days with double shipping.

Quote:
I guarantee you Hydra Cap story line and Secret Empire would not have gotten anywhere near as much hate if it wasn't for Sam Wilson sharing the role of Captain America and the paranoid belief that they were going to permanently disgrace Steve Rogers to boost up Sam.
Maybe for some, but I think there was more to it than that. In a time when Neo Nazi's were celebrating and trying to get big marches together, it was super uncomfortable to see the man who represents the country, loves it, works in its interests and wears the flag fall into fascism. Which is not really their fault, it was a real life thing making it cringeworthy, but geez, that timing.

Quote:
Any woes that Marvel comics has is clearly NOT because of this, and if all the titles get cancelled and comics are gone forever it's because those NASTY comic book nerds of the old guard didn't let the AWESOME diversity heroes succeed.
I don't know about how the replacements have fared and everybody can have their arguments over the success or failure all they want, but it must be pointed out that they can't rely on the old guard forever. They can't. The market has been shrinking for a long time because they've focused solely on them and haven't added new readers. Sooner or later, the old guard are going to get too old and fall out of the hobby for one reason or another, or die, and comics will need people to replace them, or it will disappear. If their current efforts haven't worked out, try something else, I guess, but retreating to a comfort zone is going to be dangerous for them eventually.