View Single Post
Old 08-30-2021, 03:05 AM   #43
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What's with all these games making April a fighter now? For a game like this it would have been better to have Shredder playable.
I feel like it's very much a why not/who cares non-issue, she's there probably simply because nobody expects her. At least in the case of crossover games, part of the fun is seeing characters you never expected arrive (although, I will admit, in the place/prior to stalwarts is weird). Like in Smash, nobody would have though the humanoid-shaped blob from Game & Watch games would show up, Peach fighting in canon before Melee could probably just be narrowed down to the western SMB2, and Zelda didn't do much/any outside of as Sheik before that, either, and don't get me started on Wii Fit Trainer.

Also the Turtles games have never been strict about sticking to the canon of the sources, I mean just the games "based" on 87 cartoon also have TMNT Adventures, Mirage, and movie characters all over, their own takes on certain characters, and a bunch more. There's enough to kind of call them their own mini-/separate continuity, or even each game or VERSION of the game with their own continuities. The Japanese game manuals especially say stuff like April is Splinter's daughter and the Triceraton is a mutant. Then we have Splinter turning back to Yoshi at the end of the first NES game, and Stiockman randomly as a human again in HyperStone Heist....

Plus as Coola said, almost nobody in this game ever could be considered "fighters" anyway...