View Single Post
Old 11-29-2021, 08:01 AM   #310
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Feels like I've been waiting for this game forever. After that trailer drop earlier in the year, I've been checking every news I can get on the game but now we're even more-so in that wait and see mode. Made me realize I never had the chance to say some of the concerns I had after that April O' Neil trailer.

Personally, I'm not huge into playing as side characters. I do think that will make this game more appealing to other people, but for me ... if I'm playing a TMNT game, I want to be the TMNT. That may just be me though.

Also, I know there's a few that think the way I do, but after playing Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World for the first time back in the spring ... I'm a bit nervous with Tribute Games handling the actual development. I realize that was in 2010 before the beat em' up revival became a thing but OH LORDY is that game a slog. The only thing I picked up on my Switch that I actually have buyers remorse picking up. What a whiplash it was to eventually then play Streets of Rage 4 and absolutely love it. I'm over 20 hours into that game with just the replay value alone ... and I still want to go back into it.

Which speaking of Scott Pilgrim, I'm hoping Shredder's Revenge overall design doesn't go for that cutesy look too much. April's pixel feels ripped out of that world, and I'm all for 1987 cartoonish vibe ... but hopefully it's not overkill.

Oof. I was a bit negative there, but this is easily my top hyped game for 2022. While I have my reservations about Tribute Games, I really do think they're taking their time and wanting to make the flow and controls of the game feel like something that's familiar while keeping it moving forward - ala SOR4 with Dotemu. Since I picked up a Nintendo Switch in October of last year, I've fallen in love with it. I fell out of gaming around the PS3/360/Wii era with just playing some Wii here, but I picked up a PS4 in 2014 and even then I wasn't as into it as I am now. Can't wait to play this on the Switch all the time.

On a more sad note, this is the first TMNT game to come out since my younger brother's passing in September of this year. I've been a little anxious about it as TMNT was always our thing and I was really looking forward to playing it with him, even though his personal demons had made him more and more distant to me before his passing the week before my wedding. I'll miss the opportunity to jump into all the easter eggs with him and have someone that would have hopefully gotten a kick out of this as much as I would have, but I'll be thinking about him a lot through my first play.