View Single Post
Old 11-30-2021, 10:26 AM   #3008
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
When I say Super7 has bad QC issues, I guess I'm not trying to negate the idea that NECA ALSO has fairly bad QC - it's just that NECA's QC, for me, has been more inconvenient (heating up frozen joints, the notorious paint flaking, etc.), while Super7's has left me with useless and/or broken figures.

Of the twelve Super7 figures I have, the only ones WITHOUT loose, wobbly hips are Splinter, Shredder, April and Mikey. Most of the others can still stand well enough, but getting Rocksteady and Metalhead to stand upright, never mind posing them in any kind of dynamic fashion, is a real feat.

Just from an engineering standpoint, Super7's figures are baffling. The flimsy little pins they use for main connecting points (hips and elbows, mainly) result in broken joints or figures that simply can't stand up. Someone had mentioned this before, but it's like the people sculpting the accessories have no access to the figures they're intended for, as several of the accessories just have no way to be held by the figure they accompany. Someone at Super7 actually OK'd the idea to run thin, flimsy tubes behind Metalhead's knees. Rocksteady's torso and head are solid hunks of plastic that are significantly heavier than the legs can handle (and then it doesn't help that the whole hip assembly is built around those flimsy pins).

Don't get me wrong, Super7's sculpts and paint apps (usually) are amazing... but it's like that's where the professional work ends and then they hand it off to interns to actually construct the figures and make the accessories. Again, I'm not saying NECA's QC issues don't exist... I'm just saying Super7's are significant, and they're charging at least $20 more per figure.
I honestly kind of think that Bryan would prefer to make Ultimates statues rather than figures. He is on record saying he favors appearance over pose-ability, hence the lack of ab crunch or double joints. They go to great lengths to make sure their figures are accurate, but then yeah, they completely drop the ball when it comes to actually making them useable. I'm not a guy that poses much but even I find the figures pretty lacking. They're no longer confined to the hunched action poses of the 80s/90s buuuuut they're not far off in a lot of cases.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote