View Single Post
Old 06-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #9
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Thanks for sharing that photo, sdp! Yeah, I guess that's the way Nintendo is going to consider things now. I wonder if they consider all the 2D "New Super Mario Bros" games to be in the same line too.

I actually prefer the linear mission-styled games over the formula of Mario 64, but I do applaud Nintendo's efforts to change things up from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
During the announcement of Mario Odyssey they specifically mentioned how the Mario series had evolved in 3D with the more linear style of 3D land and 3D world and the more open world of 64. They even put out an image, here it is:

I don't agree perfectly agree with it since the series evolved through out each incarnation. Galaxy still felt like the first 3D games even if the levels were more linear. Galaxy 2 made the games even more linear however and by the time 3D world happened it was nothing like 64.

I love 3D open world platformers since I grew up with them and was saddened when the Wii U only got 3D world. Odyssey looked awesome and return to norm but looking at some of the footage, there's definitely still tons of SM3D World influences in the game. I'm glad there's more focus on the 3D open world but I don't even understand why they did that whole explanation of the two different type of Super Mario 3D games since they've all been an evolution.

As far as the game, I love that Pauline is back and that New Donk City is basically the "real" world, I wasn't crazy about it at first but they explained it with lore that this is the world of Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. games before Mario goes to the Mushroom Kingdom.

Yeah, things are not very mario like and strange, but that's the whole point of the game, to have something different from what we're used to, it's only one game. I hope we get Odyssey 2 like with the Galaxy games.

The "new" SMB series are considered "mainline" games so the Mario is a fun platformer has always been there and there's more than enough Mario spin-offs for him to have around 2 games per year so he's relevant.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote