View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I'm pretty sure I found out about the Nerd here at the Drome after his TMNT review. I loved it and watched his previous videos. Back in the day youtube series' weren't really a thing so I thought it was a "we'll never see videos from him again", so I was suprised when he kept making more and got into other Screwattack shows like GameJew and hated all the youtube copycats which you still see plenty of influences of "angry" reaviewers of things not just video games.

I loved his show and when it moved to Gametrailers he indeed tried to make the show have more skits which people hated but I loved since by this point I was tired of the "angry gamer" and liked how he spiced it up with random stories in between. Sadly after a while he decided to go "back to basics" and from then on I kind of lost interest since they weren't as funny and there were no skits anymore, during this time he barely produced AVGN videos so I still watched them whenever they came out but that's about it. Only recently did I begin to enjoy his AVGN episodes again.

As for the movie, I was really looking forward to it and waited forever. Since I had always been a fan of his skits I thought an entire movie of it would be great but man did I hate it, I don't remember what I thought about the movie except I didn't like it but you can probably find my review of it here on the drome thread.

As far as his video games I played the first one and it's too f-cking difficult but that's the joke, the game is nothing special just a difficult Mega Man clone with AVGN/geeky and of course the overdone "8 bit" raphics. So it's a bit generic but the AVGN license makes it stand out over other "retro" indie games. I'll get the sequel eventually.

I enjoy a lot of the Cinemassacre content that James does like Monster Madness, and other movie reviews but not all. And I really dislike Mike, he comes off as trying too hard.

It's crazy that I've watched him for over ten years though and a shame he isn't bigger, I mean he literally started the whole "youtuber" scene before it ever began but because he left for a while he kind of lost that. I've wanted to re-watch all the AVGN episodes but there are so many I think I'll need to make a list of essential ones, but maybe I'll ask around since I don't really remember which ones were good.
I was a bit hesitant when he moved to GameTrailers at first, although a guaranteed new AVGN episode every two weeks was sweet. I think the time he spent at GT doing two episodes per month burnt him out a bit, though. Did you see his "Making of an AVGN episode" video? Crazy how many hours he plunges into one game review.

I didn't like his Atari 5200 and Ghostbusters episodes much at first. Perhaps because I was just getting used to his more polished and professional style. Also, one review I've never liked much of his was his Spider-Man review. I'm also not always a big fan of those more theatrical reviews of his where he fights Matt matei or Kyle Justin in costume/disguise. I guess they worked fine for those Halloween special episodes with James being a big horror movie fan, but I'm not a fan of horror movies overall. Sometimes I like it, other times not so much. I'm also not a huge fan of the Bugs Bunny episodes. I've always preferred his straight up video game review episodes.

My "least favourite" AVGN episodes, though? Either Master Chu and the Drunk Fu or wtv that game's title was(I blame sh*t pickle for it) or Independence Day. Independence Day was the most uninspired and forgettable review AVGN did, imo. But hey, a couple of "bad" episodes in over a hundred is not a bad track record at all.

Yes, I like how his episodes have variety. He's good in that aspect. But I did like how he went "back to basics" for a while. In that video f his where he tells you about the process of making an AVGN episode, he states that NES games episodes always turn out the best and I'd agree with him on that one. Maybe because that's how I got to know him and how he started out.

Yeah, AVGN didn't transition so well into movie format, imo. It was way over the top even for an AVGN product. I mean, up to then, we had already seen all sorts of whacky sh*t in his show, so surely this would mean the movie would take it to the next level? But no, not really.

I think he's back to releasing new eps whenever he feels like it? Is he gonna release more movies(unrelated to the AVGN character that is) in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
In terms of James Rolfe, the individual, he's one of the best guys on YouTube. As Powder put it, a guy who does a lot of research and has fun with what he does. After hearing about his daughter's condition last year, my respect for Rolfe increased with the charity event.

As for his content, I will admit the AVGN has lost some of its luster in terms of comedy, but man oh man, James' filmmaking skills are great. I especially love Board James much more than AVGN due to that one reason, it's impressive. To stay on point, my favorite episode of AVGN is the Super Mario Bros. 3 episode. The recent content is still rather solid, but I prefer the other work James does now; it is fun to marathon the older AVGN episodes though.

For his movie, I've only seen bits and clips due to the Nostalgia Critic and the ET review. I haven't seen the whole thing yet, but from what I've listened to, I love the soundtrack, especially that intro.

Same thing with the two AVGN games, only seen parts and listened to the music, but playing them I've yet to do.
Actually, Super Mario Bros. 3 was a quite disappointing episode. Again, I was reading the Screwattack forums often back in the day, and this episode was VERY hyped up. It was supposed to be the most epic or at least the most memorable and outrageous AVGN episode to that point... well I personally think he went waaaaaaaaaaaay too over the top with the game coming from hell and bringing cyborg Jesus 3000 or wtv that f*ck that was. Clearly he had too much Rolling Rock when he came up with the script.

His daughter's condition? Huh? What's wrong with her? First time I hear of this.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote