View Single Post
Old 05-01-2021, 12:28 AM   #46
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Hmm... I'd personally attribute the "decline" of the middle era of MK (MK4, Deadly Alliance, Deception, Armageddon), if not in sales then in general interest or "public impact"... well, a combination of the waning of arcade games, too many games pumped out over a fairly tight timespan (while they never bothered to really evolve the game, Capcom has been relatively good about putting out a new Street Fighter game at about "the right time" every time, conversely), and well, the games in that era being kind of sameish. Adding more characters and maybe fighting styles and all that... but how long will the same base still care about ripping off someone's head as Sub-Zero? If there was like 1 MK on PS1, 1 on PS2, then 1 on PS3, there'd have been much more "punch," I think. You have to at least make people crave seeing their favorite characters in next gen graphic engines. As is, MK4 kind of hit and actually made a decent impact as I recall in the arcades... but Deadly Alliance-Armageddon all kind of blur together for most people. And why is "Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe" considered a numerical entry when it's neither canonical or a proper entry at all? Because as is it goes MK1-4, Deadly Alliance = 5, Deception = 6, Armageddon =7, the reboot = 8, and then MKX = ... 9?

Question: Can someone explain to me the history and chronology of Sub-Zero? I looked at a couple of wikis but I'm still confused. I figured the original Sub-Zero "died" during the first game, and it was his brother in every game afterward. But not so? And then the "reboot" revived the original anyway?

Also, I found pretty perfect emulation for "Deadly Alliance," "Deception," and "Armageddon" for PS2, which just leaves MK1-4, which are all available on GOG. But those are just pulling from the console versions... would it be more advantageous to try and emulate the arcade versions, graphically and otherwise?

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 05-01-2021 at 01:52 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote