View Single Post
Old 05-15-2021, 05:58 AM   #97
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, SF3 really is this odd duck. It was so amazing to think that finally Capcom would release SF3 and not just yet another edition of SF2... and it came out and it was weird an no one really liked it. More Darkstalkers than SF.
In terms of roster or gameplay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I think it was good, but I think part of it was that it just came out at the wrong time. For one thing, they probably waited too long by a year or two. For another, when it did come out the media was so focused on "Every single game needs to be 3D polygons, now" that SFIII was considered both a disappointment and a relic.
Indeed.
Just by virtue of being a 2D game, SF3 was doomed to fail at that moment.
Lack of familiar faces didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
From what I heard Alex was supposed to be the main character, but pressure had them bring in Ryu and Ken. But originally it was gonna be all new characters with Sean being the only possible link to Ken.
Alex is still main character in SF3, but story of the game is so non-existent, so it is not obvious at all. The same thing had happened with Abel in SF4. At least Capcom managed to make Rashid feel more like a protagonist in SF5.

New Generation was blatantly unfinished, because, usual Capcom policy regarding fighting games at the time was "release game as fast as possible and fix everything in later revisions". It had happened with Super Street Fighter 2: New Challengers and Street Fighter Alpha 1 - both were unfinished and had some blatantly broken stuff.

In case of New Generation, they couldn't even give all moves to all characters and Yang was clone of Yun. Second Impact is basically what New Generation was supposed to be, if not for Capcom usual meddling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Part 3s were weird man, like they had this extra pressure to really change and mix things up. SF3 was Ryu and Ken and bunch of weird new characters. Art of Fighting 3 was just Ryo and Robert and a bunch of weird new characters. Fatal Fury 3 brought back the Bogards, Mai and Geese, then a bunch of weird new characters. Mortal Kombat 3 mixed it up a bit with lots of new characters to replace old character as well as the return of Kano and Sonya with new looks. Tekken 3 only brought back a handful and the rest were all new characters (though to be fair some were sons or students of older characters).
Yeah, fighting games loved to experiment with 3rd parts.
Though, in case of Art of Fighting 3, technically it is a spin-off of the main AOF series, which is why it is so different. It was called "Art of Fighting 3" in the West only to sell more units.

This game is super gorgeous and one of my favorites, when it comes to the graphic style, but really has nothing to do with previous AOF games, aside from inclusion of Ryo and Robert.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote