View Single Post
Old 10-24-2021, 10:22 AM   #2
Coola Yagami
Overlord

That's a pretty good question. I wonder if anyone had any insider knowledge with Playmates on why.

Now the first wave made sense, those had to be made in advance so they'd already be in stores in time for the cartoon show. But those toys were, I believe the first Ninja Turtle media outside of comics. To me, those Turtles were pretty much the Mirage Turtles just with colored bandanas and the belt buckles.

I have no idea what was going with Shredder's shirtless design. I mean, even in Mirage he was wearing a shirt. Splinter's design did look kinda like how Splinter looked in Mirage issue 1, though maybe a little fatter.

But yeah, the one that takes the cake was General Traag. He was already seen on the show multiple times by the time the wave he was in came out. There was no reason to **** him up that badly.

Another weird thing about the Turtles back then was this idea they were way more kick-ass than they really were. Like yeah, they were bad-ass in season 1, but we know it went downhill, especially in season 3 and onwards as more and more comedy overtook the action. But for some reason it wasn't til I was a little older than I took a step back and realized that the Turtles were much more kick-ass in the games, the live action movies, even the action figures looked more like they were gonna **** you up in comparison to the goofier slapstick cartoon.

Slash was such a bad-ass mutha****a, but I guess he was just too wild and savage for the cartoon, they had to tone him down for the kids. I'm glad we at least got to see TruSlash in TMNT III TMP and Turtles in Time. Such a waste of an awesome design. NECA needs to release a figure of bad-ass Slash, not the dumbass one from the cartoon.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote