View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #20
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
The original stories were lame. The first had Raph decide to get the limelight and say hi to a girl he just saved. Due to lots of weirdness, the girl was sent to an asylum for thinking she was crazy and Raph had to take down a whacked-out pshyciatrist... which explained why Raph was better off sticking to the shadows.
I thought that idea was great. Plays with the turtles sense of alienation and desire to at least get some acknowledgment for some of the good deeds they do and in the end reinforces why it's best to stick to the shadows. The plot itself somewhat lame but what's at the core of it is good stuff, the last scene is great and something we could/should have gotten from Mirage.

Quote:
The only thing I thought was good about the DW series was the artwork. It looked really nice. The rest was eh...It needed a more interesting writer.
Peter David is an industry star hence why Dreamwave wanted him. He is capable of great work and maybe felt he had time to win an audience over. Interestingly I always thought linking it to the 4kids series was his choice until I read...

You wrote the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for Dreamwave. What was that experience like? Would you do it again?

Only if I could write it the way I wanted to. When Dreamwave asked me to write it, they told me the first four issues had to tie-in very closely to the first episodes of the new animated series. I felt that was an unfortunate and limiting choice. I almost passed on the project but my daughters were saying, “Dad! It’s Turtles! You have to do it!” So against my better judgment I took it on, doing the best I could with the restrictions I’d been handed, and bided my time until issue #5 when we could start doing the kinds of stories I really wanted to tell.

Unfortunately, as I feared would be the case, readers checked out the first issues, said, “Oh, it’s just a tie-in to the cartoon,” and stopped reading. It killed sales; absolutely killed it. I was so frustrated. At the time they pulled the plug, I had this big four-parter planned, a full blown Terminator send-up called “T4: The Turtlenator.” First two issues were scripted and I think the artist had already started. That’s how little warning I had.

Although that doesn't make it clear if it was DW which forced a tie in to the series or just the first episodes. Either way I think this is what stifled him. Then again if we had gotten a better book it would have been bittersweet with DW the company tanking not long after.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote