View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 07:12 PM   #84
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
The truth is that the MCU has made swiss cheeze of quite a few of these characters, but we don't care because there's just an excitement in general at seeing them on the big screen combined with the "social event" that comes with it.

Without overstating it - Iron Man 3 was a damn travesty in so many ways. Even down to using a character as the villain who got three panels in the comic before committing suicide, and making said villain a "rich white guy" because... you know... that's more acceptable evil in today's America than a fictional Asian powerhouse crimelord.
I guess this is the kinda thing they could get away with when it comes to obscure characters. Like I was legit surprised when Staine betrayed Tony cause until the movie I have never heard of Obediah Staine. It's not like a Batman movie if they have some college friend of Bruce named Oswald Cobblepot, everyone woulda seen the double-cross coming a mile away.

But yeah.... what they did with Mandarin is the DC equivalent of...

Having the Joker turn out to be some bum hired to play the character to distract Gotham paid by the Penguin or whoever the real villain of the movie would be.

Batman dies defeating Darkseid.

Later on they make some Plasticman movie or Blue Beetle movie or whatever and the real Joker emerges in that one. And there ya go, one huge missed opportunity.

They only (somewhat) got away with it because only hardcore Marvel and Iron Man fans knew who the Mandarin was, normies didn't. But DC would never have been able to get away with making the Joker a random bum and then have Blue Beetle face him instead after Batman is dead and gone in that movie continuity.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote