View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #27
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Batman And Spider-Man and other series have hundreds of reboots, I don’t know why people can accept the 1000th version of Batman but can’t accept a small handful of TMNT reboots.
Not quite. Very few hard "reboots" with those characters (as in throwing out literally everything about the past and starting over), but quite a few soft retcons that kind of "massage" bits of new continuity into the old, trying not to change too much at once so as not to give long-time readers a migraine.

For example, in 1986 or so, Frank Miller's "Year One" became the new "official" Batman origin, but it tried very hard not to change too much of the existing story, and stories taking place pre-1986 still happened within the continuity, they just happened a *little* bit differently than as told previously. Or like "The Killing Joke"; it tells the exact same story as the previous "official" Joker origin story that had been told and re-told since the 1950s, it just changed a few of the details to make it a bit more contemporary.

MOST mainstream comic book characters actually only ever get a handful of "hard reboots" that toss out everything and start from zero. Superman has probably had the most of these, but more often, it's preferable to "soft retcon" a few details here and there rather than wipe the slate clean.

Every new TMNT version is a brand new and unique version, with NO resemblance to any previous version, and yes, we absolutely have WAY too many conflicting versions at this point, especially since the property really isn't that old compared to others. If a person asks, "What is Splinter's origin?", it shouldn't be a 30-minute explanation covering 8 different and conflicting stories. "Who Is April O'Neil?" You should have ONE primary answer, and maybe she's a little older or younger, or her hair is different, or whatever, depending on the version. She shouldn't be a completely different human being with a completely different origin and life story in each new version, and we shouldn't be doing a hard re-set every 5 years or so. That's sloppy, lazy bullsh*t.

Just to clarify.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote