View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 01:27 AM   #54
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
You gotta wonder to what degree his Hollywood dalliances have had to do with all of that. The guy's genuinely written some awesome stuff in his career - and I still think his overall career average is pretty high; keep in mind, I checked out in 2009 so anything since I'm only passingly aware of - but when someone who used to perform at a consistently high level starts to lose focus, it's extremely noticeable
Personally I think once he became inserted into a position of power on a corporate level, even given full veto power over the GL movie as a producer... his mentality changed from, "I'm a big GL fan who is allowed to play in this sandbox" to "I'm Geoff Johns™, Top Dog Dot Com, and I get to change whatever I want now and make Green Lantern my own." And it showed.

Quote:
"Brightest Day" was it, for me. I had stuck through a lot, and was loving a lot of what was going on in DC; at one point I was buying about 2/3s of the entire line (I had a lot more expendable income back then). And I was loving a lot of Brightest Day's events and excited about the future. THEN I heard that DC was hitting the Panic Button because Final Crisis hadn't gotten over as planned and the fallout since then had them scrambling to refocus the company, and had settled on New 52 and the "Nuke Everything" strategy, which I said then and still maintain was a complete overreaction, totally unnecessary, and did far more harm than good.
You're a stronger man than me. Though Green Lantern as a property was fairly insulated from "Flashpoint" beyond side stuff... but pertinent stuff. Like, Brightest Day, Jade is resurrected... and then next week, Flashpoint... no more Jade. Her dad is gay on Earth-2 and she's never existed. Also Guy's bizarre new origin that nobody asked for.

Quote:
So, that's when I dropped everything. I was enjoying the ride just fine, until I found out none of it was going to have a proper ending or matter in just a few weeks.
Initially they were quite ambiguous about how much previous continuity would stand. They made it clear stuff like "Blackest Night" and even "The Death of Superman" stood, just happened... somewhat differently now. Then as time went on it seemed like... maybe they never happened.

There was even a comic with a flashback showing Kyle joining the Green Lantern Corps by Ganthet welcoming him to Oa and giving him a ring and introducing him to all the other Guardians. But I guess that was a mistake...

Quote:
Before that, though... man, I had a good run going. I'll be getting all my books out of storage, pretty soon; I'm actually excited to get a chance to re-organize and catalog my collection for the first time in like ten years.
My own collection is... vast. It's everything. Everything from the 40s to whenever "Godhead" came out. The wife has it pinned up on the top of the garage on a platform in the 36 mini boxes I put them in... so it's not really convenient to get to. Part of me is like, "Sell it! Screw it, if you want to read X issue, you can probably just access it online!" and the other part is like, "You had a lot of fun collecting all the GL comics for 2 years... you can have fun catching up with all the GL comics you've missed for the past 3 years again!" Which ordinarily wouldn't make me bite... but then I read the Grant Morrison news. Grant Morrison is basically down to be the new Geoff Johns for GL... or at least however much Geoff lets him, from afar. I don't know where you come down on Morrison, but as far as I'm concerned, that man is a f***ing master of storytelling and craft.

And it's interesting. "Green Lanterns" starring Geoff's two SJW Lanterns, Jessica and Baz, is being joined by Hal, whose "Hal Jordan & The GLC" title is being cancelled. Aaaand... that leaves everybody else. If Hal is being shuffled to that book, that means Grant's focus will be on Lanterns other than Hal, Jessica, or Baz.

As in, Kyle. Who he elevated in a huge way during his JLA run in the 90s. And even your boy, Guy.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 06-15-2018 at 01:48 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote