View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 06:21 PM   #24
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Not groundbreaking? I don't understand what you're talking about.

The gameplay of the Metroid series is the foundation of the entire Metroidvania genre. Countless games, a small sample of which I listed in this thread, have used them as a basis and built upon them. Castvania, a series as old as Metroid itself, was restructured to emulate Super Metroid's gameplay. Even within the Metroid series itself, Super Metroid is a giant leap ahead of the first two clunky Metroid games. And maybe you could argue that Fusion and Zero Mission didn't change much from Super Metroid, but Samus Returns clearly revised the gameplay in an attempt to improve it. Metroid Prime being a first person shooter is obviously a big change but not only that, gameplay and controls are drastically different from from other FPS games, especially FPS on console. One might even argue Metroid Prime helped legitimise the FPS on console. Then the other Prime games did add new machanics to the gameplay. And Other M, as controversial as it may be, didn't play it safe by copying either the 2D games or the Prime games.

"Not groundbreaking" and "only better graphics" my ass! You sound like you're talking about chess simulators.
Not groundbreaking in the sense that its been the same style of game since day one. You could argue that Metroid Prime was groundbreaking by taking that metrovania style to the 3D realm. I have Metroid Prime on the Gamecube, I tried to play it, But wasn't quite feeling it because the first person side of it was too much for me, The best experience I had with a Metroid game was Metroid Other M, I liked that it was 3rd person mostly, and I wish they made more Metroid games from a 3rd person, I'm not a fan of the first person stuff.