View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #11
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I've never read any of this guy's stuff but I've heard nothing but bad things about his work from people whose opinions I value. He sounds like a hack, formerly the Marvel equivalent of Geoff Johns but even worse. And now DC has two Geoff Johns.
I've read plenty of his work. He can be hit or miss, but he has talent, it's just that he has too many of his tics or quirks, so he can occasionally put out work that feels immediately like a Bendis comic, if that makes any sense at all. Still, dude deserves a lot of credit for Ultimate Spider-Man, which for a long time pre-BND was the Spider-Man comic to read if you wanted something consistently good and everyone and their grandmother loves his Daredevil run. What I've read of his stint with X-Men was really good too and the only reason I stopped bothering is because they apparently cut it short for a return to "OMG EXTINCTION IS NIGH" that didn't work out anyway. His long time with the Avengers was a peaks and valleys situation, but lets not kid ourselves; his approach, as well as fielding a team of Avengers that was the undeniable A list of Marvel heroes, saw them actually become the team franchise for Marvel when they were always just kind of the B team.

Still, losing him is going to hurt, because he's one of the last names they had left. Now it's down to Jason Aaron, who has been my favorite writer in Marvels stable for YEARS, and mainstays like Mark Waid. At one point, it seemed like Marvel had all the up and coming stars in comics, but that's slowly shifted with most of them leaving, Bendis going to DC, rumors Hickman will be following him after being out of Marvel for a couple years, the new guys at DC and the younger guns of Marvel not quite able to carry the company on their back yet like the names that left.

They lost Bendis to the competition at a time they really couldn't afford to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Johnathan Hickman has been offered a contract

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/11...fer-dc-comics/
I would actually be really stoked for that. Hickman goes big and crazy. Perfect for DC. I love that sort of stuff anyway, which probably explains my love for the work of Grant Morrison.