View Single Post
Old 09-26-2020, 02:42 AM   #73
Leo656
The Franchise

Circling back to the earlier assessment of my cynicism, I proudly cop to that. I am most likely THE most cynical person you've ever spoken with, just to be clear going forward. I didn't come out of the box like that, but many, many years of Observe and Report have worn me down, to the point where I have to concede that quite simply, in life, there is What is, and there is What We Wish Were So, and that they're almost never the same thing. And that's just the way it is.

As far as my cynicism towards toy collecting, well, I've been doing it a long time and seen way too much sh*t go down. Christ, look at all the NECA TMNT figures that are allegedly "in stores" and yet you have to jump through a hundred hoops to find them anywhere except eBay. Or even the Mattel WWE figures, particularly the Elite series; oh, they come out in stores, but unless you want to poke through 87 identical AJ Styles figures, you're not buying them at the stores, you're buying them at the flea market or on eBay, no exceptions. Before that it was the Jakks WWE Classic Superstars figures. Even when there was more than just Target and Walmart, and you still had Toys R Us and Kay-Bee Toys and these figures were sold everywhere, you STILL had guys like Zeus or Dr. Death who most people will swear they never saw on a toy shelf at any store, ever. "$15 action figures" that were immediately $50 on eBay the day they were released and go for over $200 now. That's just the way it goes. It was like that with the 200x MOTU line, as well, which was the only reason I stopped collecting it 2/3s of the way through. I WANTED to keep getting the figures, but none of the stores near me had them except the variants I already had, and I didn't have the internet at the time so eBay was not an option, so I had no choice but to stop altogether.

I mean, sure, some of it is location. But there's fewer stores stocking toys than ever before and every single town has a scalper, now. For every Walmart that gets a case of MOTU Origins or Masters of the WWE Universe or WWE Elites, there's at least ten people living within a five-minute drive whose sole mission is to hawk that place, buy up all the stock as soon as it hits the shelves, and then flip it on eBay. It's an unwinnable war.

I do occasionally find something good "in the wild", and am always happy when I do so. A few months ago I found the entire set of Ghostbusters Plasma Series at Walmart, and that was wonderful. But I never, ever expect that anymore. When a new toy is announced, I know that my first step is to hope my flea market buddy gets them in, and Step 2 is to buy it online and eat the shipping charges. I never, ever expect to just stumble across it at Walmart. I'd have to go there twice a day every day for that to end up working in my favor, and I just can't do that. I have enough gray hair.

I mean, that's the entire rub. Beast Man wouldn't be $35+ on eBay if you COULD simply buy him at Walmart right now for $15 the way you're "supposed" to. These people know you can't do that, because they themselves already cleaned them all out. I can only imagine what an ordeal Scare Glow is gonna be. He's always the one everyone wants, which is why I guess they're putting him out so early. He's gonna be showing up online for $50+ at launch, mark my words. It's discouraging, but I've come to accept that it's simply the name of the game ever since Toys R Us went under.

I do kinda think or HOPE that some of the heat will cool down as Wave 2 and 3 come out. Then again, we're on Wave 5 or something of "Masters of the WWE Universe" and those things still vanish immediately and go for $50 online and stay that way. So who knows? In the case of that line, the opposite of what you'd expect happened: the first few weeks, they kind of just hung on the shelf since nobody knew they were gonna be a thing. Then once people became aware of them, they became a hot item and now they're impossible to find at retail. At least in my area.

It is what it is. So yeah, I'm very cynical about it. But what else can I do? I just Observe and Report, I don't make things be this way. I'd very much wish it were different, but that's not how it goes, unfortunately.

If nothing else, my buddy at the flea market has had an easier time getting the MOTU Origins lately. So at least I've got that going for me! I do hope it becomes less of an ordeal though. For you, for me, and for everyone. It's a great line, I want people to be able to support it properly. It just sucks that people insist on making that difficult.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote